Pokemon Go has become a popular game for students

Coral Edmunds

A student attempts to catch an Oddish in the halls of Washburn Rural.

Pokemon Go has taken the world by storm. People everywhere have downloaded the game in an attempt to “catch ‘em all,” and Topeka is no exception.

The students of Washburn Rural High School can be found doing one of two things: studying or playing Pokemon Go.

The game was released in early July, and has only increased in popularity since. The original Pokemon game, created in 1995, was designed for the Game Boy. The mobile game differs from its predecessors because the characters can be viewed through the lense of the mobile device’s camera. This is known as augmented reality.

Sophomore Lauren Smith became aware of the game on twitter prior to its release.

“Two days before it released I saw a tweet about it, and I downloaded it the day it came out,” Smith said.

Freshman Jacek Holroyd considers himself an avid player and a tough competitor.

“It’s a fun game,” Holroyd said. “It combines fun with real life.”

Senior Gwyneth Mundy was introduced to the game by her little brother and soon became a fan.

“It gives people a reason to get out and exercise,” Mundy said.

Holroyd and Smith both believe the game has benefits that extend beyond the physical aspect.

“It benefits businesses that have Pokestops and gyms,” Holroyd said. “It has a positive effect because it makes many people happy and keeps them occupied.”

In a recent poll taken by 65 students, 27 affirm they are active Pokemon competitors and 53 agree the game inspires people to get out of the house and move. Smith believes she knows why the game is appealing to so many young people.

“I think nostalgia is a real factor into why people love this game so much. Pokemon was a big part of my childhood and I assume that it’s the same way with a lot of other people,” Smith said. “Also, it gives you a reason to get out of the house because there’s not that many things to do in Topeka anyway.”

Nostalgic or not, 53 students agree that the game has been taken too far, and 36 believe the game itself is hazardous.

“[I heard] somebody fell into their swimming pool and drowned while looking for Pokemon,” Mundy said.

Smith also had heard of a dangerous Pokemon Go occurrence.

“I heard that there was this guy in a traffic jam who had a Pikachu nearby and as he went to catch it, the traffic started moving again and he got rear-ended, and the airbags went out and he got injured.”

Two months after its release, Holroyd accepts that excitement over the game is finally diminishing.

“It’s dying down right about now,” Holroyd said. “Every trend stays in for about a month before slowly fading off.”

Smith agrees the game is losing popularity, but admits she is going to miss enjoying the game with friends.

“It’s just so much more fun [playing Pokemon Go with friends],” Smith said. “I mean, sitting there by yourself, throwing a Pokeball at something, that’s kind of sad.”