ACT testing at Washburn Rural

ACT testing at Washburn Rural

On February 27, 2024, Washburn Rural High School hosted a free ACT for high school students.

The ACT is an optional nationwide test available to those who need to provide their scores to colleges and universities to qualify for financial aid, and in some instances, admission to particular schools. 

There are four-timed sections students must complete; English, Math, Reading, and Science. In between, students are granted a 15 minute break. Overall, the ACT takes roughly three hours to complete. After six to eight weeks, students can expect to receive their scores. 

Washburn Rural counselors recommend students to take the test at least twice, but there is no limit, whether that be on campus or at a separate testing location.

The free ACT option started in 2019 when the Kansas state legislature began to fund one free ACT test. The state set aside $2.8 million for the school finance plan in order to give high school students an opportunity to show colleges what they know. The Kansas State Department of Education decided that every high school student should have the opportunity to take the ACT to use for their future opportunities.

The test is $68 without the writing portion. With the extra writing protion, the test costs $93, however, Kansas does not offer this with the free ACT. 

This year specifically, 280 juniors completed the ACT and it was also the first year high school students at Washburn Rural took the test on a computer.