Counselor Spotlight; Mrs. Pegram-Caporusso

???????????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????????

Mia Taggart and Hadlie Brady

For this week’s spotlight I have decided to focus on our counselors. I have talked to Mrs. Pegram-Caporusso about her counseling career and how she got into it.

1. How long have you been a counselor?
    • “I have been a school counselor for 5 years. This is my 6th!”
  2. What made you want to pursue this as your career?
    • I started college at Michigan State where I decided to major in Packaging. I quickly realized I should change majors, and have always wanted to work with children or students in some capacity. I changed majors to teaching, and one class in particular I got to work closely with the Boys and Girls Club. I loved it, and it started introducing me to other career options in the education world. I shadowed a high school counselor for a day, and decided this is something I was interested in. I transferred to Northern Illinois University my sophomore year, where I learned more about crisis counselors and how they help after a traumatic event. I also got connected to an Athletic Advisor who helped me through not only my academics, but my post-secondary planning, and he helped me through some tough ups-and-downs when I was struggling as a collegiate golfer. Once I went to DePaul University for my masters in school counseling, I knew it was a great fit and never looked back.”
  3. What would you say is the most challenging part about your job? 
    • “The most challenging part is feeling that I never have enough time. Time management is important, and also making sure I don’t take (a lot) of work home with me, because your mental health is important!”
  4. In what ways do you help students?
    • School counselors are licensed educators who improve student success for ALL students by leading, advocating, and collaborating to promote equity and access for all students. I help students academically, managing their social emotional well-being, and help plan for post-secondary options.”
  5. What type of schooling did you have to go through? What is the suggested degree for being a high school counselor?
    • To be a school counselor you need to get your masters in school counseling, you need to meet state certification/licensure standards, and uphold ASCA ethical and professional standards. For my undergraduate degree, I majored in Sociology and minored in Child Studies.”
  6. What college would you recommend for this career path?
    • I went to DePaul University in Chicago, but I have taken some classes through Emporia University.”
  7. How can students reach out for help when needed?
    • I am located in the counseling office, so either stopping by my office and seeing if I am available, if I am not, you can write your name on my board and I can send a pass for you to come see me. Email is also a great way to reach out and we can set up a time to meet during the school day. I coach the JV girls golf team here at WRHS, so the fall season I get a little busy, but I try my best to respond as quickly as I can!”