Freshmen’s first year

Cora Iarossi Audrey Solis, writer

How do eighth graders feel about coming into freshman year here at Washburn Rural High School? Madison Blanco is one of those students who just entered high school.

”I mean it’s alright, getting to class is the biggest challenge though.” This is a challenge for many students, even some seniors! WRHS is a big school with big opportunities.

One of Madison’s favorite activities is design and sports. “Design is so easy, just because I love to do art so I enjoy going to class.” Madison is also a part of one of the many sports we have at WRHS, the girls wrestling team. “I like wrestling because of the people I have met and talked to.”

But like any other student she is determined to graduate and is starting freshman year on a great note!

Julius Barngrover is another new student and his personal experience was as normal as any other. “I mean it’s a big school, but the first day was the hardest.”

One of his favorite classes is welding. “I like wood working and welding and the people in my class.” Everyone has different expectations when starting high school and for Julius his experience so  far has met some of his expectations.  

One of our own teachers, Mr.Chaffee, has his daughter Tessa Chaffee attending WRHS for her high school journey. When Tessa entered high school she knew she was going to face challenges.

“It’s a lot different than the middle school. I feel like getting through the halls is challenging just because there’s a lot of people,” she said.

We have a lot of clubs here at Washburn and one of our clubs is Circle of Friends. Tessa said she enjoys this club very much .

“I like the friends I have made there.” As everyone knows there are pros and cons of high school and one of Tessa’s cons is slow walkers. “There’s so many people in the halls and then people want to walk slow.¨ This is actually a very common issue here but it is an issue that exists everywhere you go. As Tessa is nervous as she starts her high school experience, but she said she is ready and excited for the future.