WRHS DECA Competes at Nationals

Gwen Clark, Writer

The Washburn Rural High School DECA Club attended the National Career Development Conference on April 27-30. The competition was held in Orlando, Fla. at the Orange County Convention Center.

The DECA International Career Development Conference is the conclusion of the DECA year. Over 18,000 DECA members and advisors from schools across the country gathered to develop knowledge and skills for college and careers. Advisors and educators participated in administering DECA’s Competitive Events Program and Emerging Leader Series while also participating in professional learning activities. Club members got the chance to experience Orlando attractions, including Disney World and Universal Studios.

Students applied their classroom learning to business while competing in the events. James Fakoury, Lauren Florea, Nadia Jackson, Grant Miller, and Harper Zimlich attended the conference to represent Gold-Certified WRHS school-based enterprises (The Shack and Common Grounds).

Activities were offered for students to learn more about the aspects of running a student-based enterprise. These activities included guest speakers, workshop sessions, networking, and the opportunity to engage with other high school students. The competition involved an oral presentation in front of judges, focusing on promotion.

Emma Getsinger and Sydney Yost competed at nationals as well, in result of placing in their event at the state level competition.