• March 19Summer Drivers Education Enrollment, Auditorium; 5:30-7:30 pm

• March 19Girls Dive Meet @ Emporia HS; 4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Cheer Tryout Clinic; 3:15-5:30 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 3:05-4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 7 - 7:50 am

Exploring College Major Options

Lauren Miller, Writer

High school is the time students begin to start thinking and planning for their future. Students at Washburn Rural are given several opportunities to see what subjects interest them and what career they want to pursue post-high school.

Washburn Rural High School provides a program called Naviance for students to plan their classes and see what career might suit their interests. This is beneficial, especially to those who are unsure of what they would like to do.

Looking at the different options for majors can be daunting, and narrowing down the options can be difficult. Thankfully, Naviance and other sites online can help to pinpoint exactly what career fits a particular interest and what classes can help to prepare you for this class in college.

If a student has a certain college in mind, they can navigate to the school website and explore the different options. Some universities even have online quizzes to identify what majors you might want to consider and what classes are offered for that major. Several staff members at universities can be contacted with any questions a student might have.

Kansas University’s website, ku.edu, gives students in-depth analysis on what each major consists of. “The Undergraduate Advising Center” details all necessary information. Kansas State University’s also has a “Majors and Programs” page on their website, k-state.edu, which students can use. Similar pages exist on university websites across the country.

School counselor Marcie Frederickson wants to prepare students for college as effectively as possible.

“Advisory activities that focus on career exploration give students opportunities to explore their options, including majors. We are fortunate to have many different course options and programs available for students that help them explore careers.” she says.

In regards to the Naviance program, Frederickson believes it is a valuable student resource.

“Naviance provides incredible opportunities for students to explore careers and post secondary options. We encourage students to explore Naviance beyond their advisory activities,” she says.

According to Frederickson, while 78% of Kansas high school graduates pursue post-secondary education, only 36% complete it. The Education Department’s National Center for Education Statistics finds that 33 percent of bachelor’s degree students entered college in 2011 and 28 percent of students in associated degree programs had changed their major more than once in 2014. This shows that students have the option to change their course once they get into college. Knowing this should help alleviate stress.

Frederickson understands the students’ apprehension.

It is important for students to sleep and eat well, stay balanced, and have someone to talk to,” she says. “Students should avoid procrastination and focus on what they can control, not on things they can’t. School counselors and social workers are excellent resources.”

Through Washburn Rural High School, students can prepare for college and what long-term career they would like to pursue.

Lauren Miller, Writer

I’m Lauren Miller, a junior at Washburn Rural, and this is my first year on the Blue Streak staff. I love to read, write, and spend time with my family....