• October 19V Football vs Seaman (Senior Night), WRHS Turf Field; 7 pm

• October 18No School

• October 18Open Parent/Teacher Conferences, 12 - 3 pm

• October 17Student-Led Parent/Teacher Conferences, 5:20 - 8 pm

• October 17Open Parent/Teacher Conferences, 4 - 5:20 pm

Prochaska is awarded 20 Under 40

Megan Spangler, Writer

This Spring, Susana Prochaska a counselor at Washburn Rural High School had the privilege of being nominated for an outstanding program. Topeka’s “20 Under 40” program went through a selection of 200 nominations and 100 applications and Prochaska was eventually picked as one of the recipients.

The Jayhawk Area Council hosts the 20 Under 40 each year where individuals over the age of 18, and under the age of 40 can be nominated to a part of the 20 leaders of their community. To be nominated you must show good moral character and a sense of leadership. Also, rather than showing success within your workplace, an outside dedication to help your community grow is an essential base of the program.

This year, Prochaska was first nominated, then selected through her application as one of the top leaders. She was unaware of the details of the program however she became excited after hearing the previous nominees speak.

“As we listened to them speak about their experiences and accomplishments, I felt inspired to continue supporting our community and serving the organizations and agencies where I volunteer,” Prochaska said.

As we listened to them speak about their experiences and accomplishments, I felt inspired to continue supporting our community and serving the organizations and agencies where I volunteer.”

— Susana Prochaska

After hearing the requirements of being apart of the program she became hesitant to submit her application. However, a mentor of hers reached out to her and calmed her nerves about the selection process.

“This person helped me to see those parts I was worried about as opportunities to showcase the causes I support,” Prochaska said.

Prochaska is a part of many groups and organizations such as serving as president on the Kansas School Counseling Association, serving on the Kansas Legislature’s Child Welfare System Task Force, and YMCA Board of Directors. Amidst her business she was able to finally submit her application.

After a long process and the final selections a banquet took place on November 9 at the Ramada Inn sponsored by The Boy Scouts of America. Each honoree was recognized at the banquet and the overall experience was beneficial to everyone, especially people close to Prochaska.

“My sons reflected on the whole experience from their perspectives as 7, 9, and
10 year old boys and their words were touching and very special to me. It reminded me what all of this is really about,” Prochaska said.

Overall, Prochaska was able to take many lessons from her experience and is thankful she was nominated.

“I’ve been honored by the personal connections made with this year’s honorees and past honorees through supporting one another’s causes. I’m amazed by their talents and contribution to the greater Topeka community,” Prochaska said.

Megan Spangler, Writer/Photographer
Hey! I’m Megan Spangler and I’m a sophomore and this is my second semester on the newspaper staff. I love Great Danes and I’m always listening to Khalid. I’m involved in Circle of Friends, Capernaum, Young Life, and I throw javelin for track. I keep busy between bible studies and being on the lake. Whenever...