• March 19Summer Drivers Education Enrollment, Auditorium; 5:30-7:30 pm

• March 19Girls Dive Meet @ Emporia HS; 4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Cheer Tryout Clinic; 3:15-5:30 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 3:05-4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 7 - 7:50 am

Student wins art award

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student wins art award

Major Copeland, Writer

On Nov 10 the AP Studio Art Class at Washburn Rural High School attended the annual High School Art Day held at Washburn University. The day is filled with activities including a week-long art exhibit of several different pieces that the students created that caught the eyes of several different professors. One piece on display was Senior Brynn Bakers painting entitled “Bread Of Life”. This painting represents communion and Jesus Christ. Baker has a very close relationship with her faith and wanted to paint something that showed that.

“My Christian faith is really important to me so I wanted to do something that exemplifies that and directly show it,” Baker said

Baker’s inspiration for this piece was to display her relationship with faith. The objective of the project was to incorporate hands in some way in order to symbolize how Baker has a close connection to her Christian faith.

The award came with a full array of art supplies including brushes and paints. Baker was recognized for the Best Original 2D Artwork.

Major Copeland, Page Design/Photographer/Writer

I’m Major Copeland, and  I am a writer on the Newspaper Staff.  I love writing and photography. In my free time, if I’m not writing, I’m taking...