• August 16Cross Country Parent Information Meeting in the Library, 5:30 pm

• August 15Girls' Golf Parent Information Meeting @ Cypress Ridge Golf Course, 5:30 pm

• August 14First Day of School for Freshman and Returning Students

• August 13First Day of Fall Sports

• August 12WRHS Building Tours 2:00 - 4:00 pm

Dropping a beat into the music industry

Emily Burris, Online Editor

Recently, junior Jalen Malloy was playing some of his music for an Instagram Livestream and a friend of two famous rappers were watching. Malloy then met with that friend and got the opportunity to become a music producer for Rich the Kid and Famous Dex. Excited does not begin to describe how Malloy felt when he found out.

“It was like a woah moment,” Malloy said. “Rich and Dex are both some of my favorite rappers. It’s a dream come true.”

I knew he deserved it, he puts so much time into his music.”

— Noah Frederick

Malloy has always had a passion for music. Ever since he was a kid he has dreamed about working in the music industry in the back of his mind. Famous Dex and Rich the Kid are idols of Malloy because they have a different aspect to their music.

“They are very versatile and Rich is one of the most hard working rappers in rap,” Malloy said.

Junior Noah Frederick has been a friend of Malloy since they met in sixth grade. The friendship with Malloy has inspired Frederick to begin making music this last summer, with the help of Malloy. Fredrick is extremely proud of Malloy and knows that he really deserves this deal and that this will be very instrumental in getting his future rolling .

“I was the first one to hear about it. I knew he deserved it,” Frederick said. “He puts so much time into his music.”

Malloy has been making beats since his eighth-grade year, but it was not a serious career option until a year later. Freshman year Malloy really discovered his passion for music. Malloy is constantly sharing videos of him creating new beats.

“I have so much love for music,” Malloy said. “I decided to just make music of my own.”

Rich the Kid started his career in 2013 when he released a solo debut “Been About the Benjamins.” He opened his own studio, Rich Forever Music, in March of 2016. One of the artists at Rich Forever Music is Famous Dex, who is also interested in Malloy’s beats. Malloy is hopeful that their interest in him will pave his path to the industry and jumpstart his career.

“It’s my first step into the door of the rap game,” Malloy said. “I just have to break the door down and prove to everyone that I’m the best producer out here.”

I have so much love for music, I decided to just make music of my own.”

— Jalen Malloy

One of the reasons Malloy enjoys Rich the Kid and Famous Dex’s music so much is because it is very different than other music in the industry in many ways. Frederick would also describe Malloy’s music as versatile and refreshing.

“He mixes different types of genres into his music and tries to use different sounds that nobody is using,” Frederick said.

Overall, Malloy is hopeful that this deal will open the door to his future. He is hoping that getting his foot in the industry with two rappers that he not only idolizes but that are successful will lead him to a very productive career.

“I hope this will lead me into a good life,” Malloy said. “I want to be able to provide for my family.”