• January 19Topeka Sizzlers Basketball, Activity Center; 7 - 10 pm

• January 19V Boys Basketball @ Basehor-Linwood Mid-Season Tournament

• January 19Dancin' Blues @ Miss Kansas Dance Competition, Olathe South; 9 am

• January 18V Boys Basketball @ Basehor-Linwood Mid-Season Tournament; 4:30 pm

• January 18Girls Basketball v Junction City, Activity Center; 4:30 - 10 pm

Effects drawn from the state of our nation

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brittney Wilson, Co-Editor

The cold, brisk air hung low around New York city, signaling the impending snowfall. The altitudinous buildings towered over the people gathered in Washington Square Park, but not even the valley of edifices could make them feel as small as their oppressors. They wielded signs, demanding the termination of their persecution.

America was built on a foundation of liberty and hope, a concept still prevalent in modern society. The American citizens are continuously and faithfully working to acquire total equality despite race, sexuality, and class. The right of peaceful assembly, as illustrated above, is obnoxiously American.

The question that arises today is whether or not this equality is attainable. Consequently, America is split on the correctness and morality of our leadership.
Naturally, students at Washburn Rural High School are affected by the decisions made in Washington D. C.

Junior Drew Keller is concerned about the state of our nation, especially regarding the recent shooting in Las Vegas.

“”The current state of America is a complete mess. The diversity and difference of people in America is a great thing. In no way is it the problem. The problem is the press. They tend to hype things way more than they should and give people biased opinions right off the bat,” said Junior Drew Keller. ”In addition, where do we draw the line with freedom? Do American citizens have too much freedom?”

Senior Thomas Wu believes “the current state of America is divided and tensed.”
“It is evident that polarization between political parties only exacerbates the current atrocities faced by citizens such as riots, protests, and counter-protests,” Wu said. “The geographical climate of America make bipartisanship almost impossible for important legislature such as healthcare and tax reform to be passed.”

Despite the tension, America is hopeful for its future. People continue fight for their beliefs and strive for an improved nation.
“When we fight for the ideals behind the constitution of the United States,” Democratic politician Kamala Harris said, “that is the very definition of being a patriot.”