Donald Trump wins Washburn Rural’s mock election

Republican candidate Donald Trump won the Washburn Rural mock election, beating Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton 45 percent to 39 percent.

(Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)

Donald Trump won the Washburn Rural High School mock election with 45 percent of the vote.

Republican candidate Donald Trump has won the Washburn Rural High School mock election with 45 percent of the vote.

Students were given the opportunity to participate in advance voting through their social studies classes from Thursday, Nov. 3 to Monday, Nov. 7. Polls closed after lunch on Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 8. The ballot included national, state and county offices as well as judicial retention and a constitutional amendment.

In the presidential race, Trump secured the election by winning 45 percent of the vote. Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton was six percentage points behind with 39 percent of the vote. Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson got 10 percent of the vote and Green Party candidate Jill Stein secured 2 percent of the vote.

Trump won the freshmen, sophomores and seniors, and had the most support among the sophomore class with 49 percent of the vote. On the other hand, Clinton won the junior class with 46 percent of the vote. Johnson polled best with the senior class with 17 percent and Stein faired best with the freshmen where she won 7 percent of the vote.

The voter turnout for the mock election was 53 percent. The junior class had the greatest voter turnout with 79 percent, whereas the sophomores had the lowest voter turnout with 46 percent.

In addition to the presidential election, another contentious item on the ballot was the question of judicial retention. All of the judges were retained by Washburn Rural students.

Carol A. Beier had the largest “yes” vote with 71 percent of students voting to retain. Following Beier, Caleb Stegall had a 68 percent vote to retain, Lawton R. Nuss secured a 67 percent vote to retain, Marla Luckert was retained with 66 percent of the vote and Dan Biles had a 65 percent vote to retain.

In addition to the presidential vote, another important national office voted on by students was for the United States Senate. Republican candidate Jerry Moran won the Senate race with 49 percent of the vote. Democratic candidate Patrick Wiesner finished a close second with 42 percent of the vote and Libertarian candidate Robert D. Garrard won 9 percent of the vote.

In the final national office election, Republican candidate Lynn Jenkins won the United States Representative seat for the second district. Jenkins secured 66 percent of the vote, while Democratic candidate Britani Potter and Libertarian candidate James H. Bales finished with 24 percent and 10 percent of the vote, respectively.

The one state office that was recorded was the register of deeds. Republican candidate Becky Nioce defeated Democratic candidate Marilyn L. Nichols 57 percent to 43 percent.

Washburn Rural students voted for the Republican candidate in each contested election and retained all of the Kansas Supreme Court judges.