Thirty-Two Hour Workweek

How the Thirty-Two Hour Workweek can benefit not just the American people, but our school as well.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.change.org%2Fp%2Fbill-h-r-4728-thirty-two-hour-workweek-act%3Fsource_location%3Dpetitions_browse

Lily C Escalante, Writer/Editor

Always let your conscience be your guide,” the Blue Fairy told Pinocchio. Today, American people are telling us what their conscience is telling them, and the Thirty-Two Hour Workweek allows us to let their conscience be their guide. For these three reasons, here’s why we should be in support of this new and creative act taking America by storm. 

For starters, research has already proven the usefulness of 32 hour work weeks. Studies show that when people don’t have to spend as much time in the workplace, they are more appreciative of their position and experience more satisfaction at work. With fewer hours in the week, you can be more engaged in your position when working. Having a long weekend can also encourage you to look forward to going back to work instead of feeling rushed back into the workweek after a short break. Among these and other reasons, it’s obvious that this concept is fighting for the benefit of the American people, especially employees. 

Secondly, there are great benefits already shown by companies who have transitioned into a four-day workweek. Studies have shown that there are various benefits to four-day workweeks such as improved mental health, ability to run errands and balance hobbies. There’s more time with friends and families, there’s more intentional communication. There is reduced turnover and absenteeism. Increased employee happiness and job satisfaction, increased productivity and performance, and more time to devote to personal and professional development. This modern outlook on work allows us time to live life to the fullest. 

And lastly, according to Congressman Mark Takano, the future of work is rapidly changing as is. Already, millions of Americans are enjoying flexible work due to the pandemic. Pilot programs run by governments and businesses in countries such as Iceland, New Zealand, Spain, and Japan have experimented with a four-day workweek and reported very promising results. According to pilot studies, workers reported a 25% to 40% increase in productivity and an improved work and life balance. Furthermore, our economy is composed not only of white-collar workers, but people from all backgrounds who should benefit from the changing status quo.  The labor market is becoming more competitive and workers must feel enabled to demand better working conditions and higher wages. By implementing thirty-two hour workweeks in places such as our own school and more, we will be able to witness massive improvements in employees’ and students’ lives. 

At the end of the day, Thirty Two Hour Workweeks only promise good things to come. It does not put as much strain on our employees, it opens up Americans back to normal life, the way it should have always been, a balanced and healthy work life. It allows them to let their conscience be their guide.