How to Finish the School Year Strong

Gwen Clark, Writer

As spring begins, seniors aren’t the only students who are ready to finish the school year and start summer. It is easy to become distracted and unmotivated in classes as the semester comes to an end. On the first days of school, most students are positive and determined. It is important to keep that mindset in the fourth quarter. Many students don’t focus on their attitude towards the end of the year, but it can have a major impact on your grades and performance at school.

First, remember to stay organized. One of the most important things for me is to clean out my folders and binders. If your backpack is full, it is easy to lose important assignments and forget what you have to do as homework. Use a planner or calendar to remember test dates. Keep yourself motivated as well.

Second, don’t waste the hard work you’ve put in all semester by letting your grades slip. Although it is easier said than done, you’ll thank yourself for making every grade count in your classes. Completing minor assignments will really help your grade average, especially before finals. Identify what final grades you want in each of your classes and continue to work towards that grade to help your GPA. Studying by using videos and Quizlets are good ways to keep your attention while studying. Make sure you are retaining the material in your classes to help you for finals week. You will be glad you payed attention and took notes when you are preparing to get a good grade on your final.

Third, don’t forget about your missing assignments. Zeros in the gradebook can lower your grade quite a bit, and it is easy to forget what assignments you haven’t done without checking Campus Portal. Let your teachers know if you need help in your class, especially if you don’t understand the material. As this school year comes to an end, it can be challenging to keep an interest in your school work. It is important to keep motivating yourself to achieve the grades you want.