Tips for Success During Finals

Gwen Clark, Writer

1. Missing Assignments

First, complete any missing assignments. One of the most important things for me is to complete anything that is missing on Campus Portal. It may not seem important, but each assignment will increase your grade a little bit. It is one of the easiest ways to change your grade. For example, if you have a grade that is a high B, this could change your grade to an A right before finals. These smaller assignments are usually to complete, and you’ll most likely thank yourself after finals.

1. Study Guides

You should also utilize study guides. Most teachers offer reviews and study guides before taking finals. These usually have almost everything you will need to know before taking the exam. This is the easiest way to determine what you know and what you don’t. I like to study by using Quizlet, old tests, and by creating my own organized notes for the class.

1. Talk to Your Teachers

Going along with completing study guides, if you don’t understand a concept, ask your teacher! They are normally happy to help when you have a question, and it is the best way to really understand something and know how you will need to apply it for the final.

1. “Cheat” Sheets

If you are given the opportunity, complete a notecard with information for the test. Some classes allow students to use a “cheat” sheet or notecard to write down definitions, formulas, etc. It is important to take time to complete this, because it is less information you have to memorize for the test. This is another way to review the material as you write it.

1. Begin Studying Early

Also, start studying in advance. Everyone says this, but it really is true – don’t wait until the night before to begin studying. You will be more likely to remember the information if you study over multiple days, rather than just many hours the night before.

1. Plan Your Finals Week

Another good strategy is to plan out your finals. Physically write down which tests you have on certain days so you can visualize your week. This always makes finals less overwhelming for me, because I know I won’t forget to study for any class. Know the schedule so you are prepared for each day. This is the easiest way to manage your time and realize how long you have to study.