Students debate merits of Common Core

Common Core is designed to force students to think critically instead of memorizing information. The standards, based off of international models, were created by the Council of the Chief State School Officers and the National Governors Association.

According to the Common Core State Standards Initiative, they implemented standards that are “research and evidence based, clear, understandable, and consistent, aligned with college and career expectations, based on rigorous content and the application of knowledge through higher-order thinking skills, built upon the strengths and lessons of current state standards, informed by other top-performing countries to prepare all students for success in our global economy and society.”

Kansas adopted the standards in 2010. Even though the Kansas Common Core Standards do not require students maintain a certain grade, a list was set in place to tell teachers what each student must learn by the end of the course.    

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Sophomore Dalton Loewen said he opposes Common Core.

“It should be encouraged for students to find new and innovative ways to work through problems, but if you find an alternate method, you are deducted points because that is not how you’re supposed to do it,” Loewen said.

On the other hand, sophomore Bradley Mathewson said he has faith in Common Core.

“People say it’s bad, but I think it works,” Mathewson said. “It helps set up students for further education.”

Though junior Tarrin Fisher admits he doesn’t know much about it, he has not let the opinions of other people dictate his personal beliefs.

Common Core has good intentions but could be expanded to fit the needs of more students

— Sophomore Bradley Mathewson

“I’ve heard opinions from many people. People who are homeschooled say it brainwashes people. I have also heard it has increased standardized test scores in all Common Core states and is doing a good job of achieving it’s goals,” Fisher said.

Even though Mathewson is not against Common Core, he does recognize it has some flaws.

“Common Core has good intentions but could be expanded to fit the needs of more students. It only dictates what teachers should teach, not the best way to convey that knowledge to students,” Mathewson said.

The creators of Common Core hope it continues to grow in the future.