• November 13Fall Jazz Concert with WRMS Jazz Band, Auditorium; 7 - 8 pm

• November 12Girls Tennis Banquet/Awards Night, Cafeteria; 6:30 - 7:30 pm

• November 12Wrestling Alpha Weigh-In, Locker Room; 3:05 pm

• November 12Musical Dance Audition Workshop, Auditorium; 3 - 4:30 pm

• November 12First Day of Winter Sports Practices and Tryouts

Protest justified due to meaning

A cartoon depicts Kaepernick's methods behind his protest.

Drew Sheneman

Drew Sheneman

Deja Timley, Writer

During these past few weeks, there has been major controversy surrounding NFL player Colin Kaepernick taking a knee during the national anthem in many games. His recent courageous events have led other players to begin to do the same.

Many believe that this is wrong considering the national anthem is played for those who have lost their lives in combat for the protection of our country and the countries we ally ourselves with, but Kaepernick and many others that support Black Lives Matter disagree.

I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color”

— Colin Kaepernick

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick told NFL Media in an interview after a game. “To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

After Kaepernick’s interview, the 49ers released a statement stating that they “recognize the right of an individual to choose and participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem.”

Kaepernick’s choice to sit during the anthem has sparked many other African-American football players and even white players outside of the sport to take a knee during the national anthem.

The Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Marcus Peters has raised a fist during the anthem.

“I was just stating how I’m black, and I love being black [and] I’m supporting [Kaepernick] in what he’s doing as far as raising awareness with the justice system,” Peters said.

Kaepernick’s decision to sit during the National Anthem shows his support for a movement that helps people understand the struggles minorities go through. We may have had a Civil Rights Act passed, but we still go through many people getting shot by the people who are supposed to protect us. He sat, not out of disdain for the flag, but for the disdain of his country still killing innocent black people just because they are black.