• January 19Topeka Sizzlers Basketball, Activity Center; 7 - 10 pm

• January 19V Boys Basketball @ Basehor-Linwood Mid-Season Tournament

• January 19Dancin' Blues @ Miss Kansas Dance Competition, Olathe South; 9 am

• January 18V Boys Basketball @ Basehor-Linwood Mid-Season Tournament; 4:30 pm

• January 18Girls Basketball v Junction City, Activity Center; 4:30 - 10 pm

Filed under Volleyball

Volleyball competes in the WRHS Invitational

Sophomores+Shelby+Ebert+and+Sydney+Houser+go+up+for+a+block+during+the+WRHS+Invitational+on+Sept.+24.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomores Shelby Ebert and Sydney Houser go up for a block during the WRHS Invitational on Sept. 24.

Sarah Buchanan

Sarah Buchanan

Sarah Buchanan

The Washburn Rural volleyball team played in a tournament on Saturday, Sept. 24 where they beat Mill Valley and Kapaun Mount Caramel and lost to Blue Valley Northwest, Blue Valley and Maize.

Some teams were more difficult to play than others. Blue Valley Northwest was a tough team to play because of their height and athleticism. The team lost to Blue Valley Northwest 25-22 in both sets.

“They’ve played together for a few years, so they already have experience together,” junior Camryn Boswell said.

Even with tough competition, the volleyball team stayed motivated throughout the tournament. The team’s energy picked up by listening to music in the locker room.

“[During matches] we try to pick each other up as much as possible. If someone makes a point, we keep the momentum going by cheering them on and staying focused,” junior Shelby Ebert said.

Conditioning and practices previous to the tournament also helped the team keep their energy level high during their games. The team worked on pressure situations and how to play smarter in hopes to carry their skills into games.

“We were really focused in practice the days before [the tournament] and we practiced situations that would come up during a game,” sophomore Carly Bachelor said.

Practice makes progress, but there is always more to improve on. Mental toughness has been a focus area for the volleyball team to improve.

We have to improve on our mental toughness because we’re coming close to a lot of the teams, but aren’t quite finishing the deal”

— Head coach Kevin Bordewick

“We have to improve on our mental toughness because we’re coming close to a lot of the teams, but aren’t quite finishing the deal,” head coach Kevin Bordewick said.

During games, mental and physical aspects play into the outcome of the game. Teammates must balance playing aggressive, smart and together to get the job done.

“I told myself that there were going to be really good teams [at the tournament] and I needed to make sure when I stepped onto the court, I gave it my all,” Boswell said.

I’m doing what I love and it’s a good feeling to help my team win”

— Sophomore Shelby Ebert

The players are self motivated and do not play just to win games, but also for the love of the sport.

“To know you’re playing for your school and not for yourself [is my favorite part]. I’m doing what I love and it’s a good feeling to help my team win,” Ebert said.

The team has senior night on Sept. 29. They will play Olathe East and Saint Thomas Aquinas at 5 p.m. Courtney McMaster is the lone senior on the team.

About the Contributor
Sarah Buchanan, Writer/Photographer

Hi, my name is Sarah and I have been a Blue Streak staff member for two years. At Washburn Rural, I am involved in National Honors Society, Student Council,...