A Day in the Life of an All Online Learner

7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.

Beep. Beep! Beep!! Beep!!! An alarm goes off, jostling Washburn Rural High School sophomore Nadiya Al-Murrani awake. Al-Murrani wipes the sleep from her eyes before leaning across her bed to turn off the alarm. She lifts her head up off her bed and peers out her window. The golden sun greets her with a bright smile as it shines on the horizon. Al-Murrani climbs down from her loft bed and heads downstairs for a much needed breakfast. Her stomach growls and rumbles as she grabs a bagel and cream cheese from the pantry. After finishing breakfast, Al-Murrani goes back upstairs and gets ready for the day. 

8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.

It is now 8:30 a.m., time for school. Al-Murrani sits down at her metal desk and turns on her computer. She goes to the website Edgenuity to begin her all online schooling.

“I do my three hardest classes first which are chemistry, math, and physics but I just do them in whatever order I want,” Al-Murrani explained, “I take breaks after every class to refresh my brain so I don’t get unproductive.” 

Today, Al-Murrani begins with math. She does a warmup and then watches a prerecorded video on polynomials. As the teacher talks, she jots down notes and follows along. Once the lecture is over, Al-Murrani reads the summary and then does the practice problems. All of her classes work similarly to this. 

“There’s a warm up, an instruction, a summary, an assignment, and a quiz for each topic and then there’s a unit test,” Al-Murrani explained.

After finishing math, Al-Murrani moves on to chemistry and then physics. Today she has a quiz in physics. 

When asked how quizzes and tests work, Al-Murrani said, “You get two attempts for 100 percent on most quizzes and tests, and then one attempt after that for 80 percent. There’s a review before all unit tests. Unit tests impact your grade so much but quizzes and tests not so much.”

11:30 a.m. – 11:35 a.m.

Al-Murrani is now finished with her three most rigorous classes. She looks over at the clock on her desk. It’ll be 11:30 a.m. in a minute. Time for her attendance zoom call. 

Mr. Duff is the teacher from Washburn Rural High School that does Al-Murrani’s attendance meetings. Mr. Duff starts off with a question. He asks the students what their favorite food is. As each student answers, Mr. Duff marks their name off as present. When it’s Al-Murrani’s turn she answers, “Tacos and oranges.” 

A few minutes later, Al-Murrani leaves the meeting and continues with her day.

11:35 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Now that Al-Murrani’s attendance zoom meeting is out of the way, she does one more class before she eats lunch. Today Al-Murrani decides to do Music Appreciation.  

Approximately 45 minutes later, Al-Murrani finishes Music Appreciation and heads downstairs for lunch. She decides to eat a sandwich and orange. Finished with lunch, she heads upstairs to do her last three classes.

1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. 

Al-Murrani starts with government. About halfway into the class, she takes a little break and gets on her phone. Being able to take breaks whenever you want is one of the many perks to online school, according to Al-Murrani. 

Al-Murrani voiced a few other perks when she said, “You don’t have to get up as early; you don’t have to get ready; you don’t have to work at a desk; you don’t have to wear a mask; you can eat whenever without being judged; you get two attempts on your work; you don’t have to ask to use the bathroom; you can work at your own pace, […] it causes less anxiety or stress, it is quieter, and you get to choose what classes you do when.”

However, there are a few things Al-Murrani does not like about all online school. 

“I don’t like how we don’t have real teachers because I can’t ask specific questions and they can’t explain it to me in a different way. I also don’t like how we have to email people to unlock our tests, because sometimes they can take hours to actually unlock it. You just have to wait.”

After completing her work for the day in government, english, and career exploration, Al-Murrani is done with school.

Remote learning is vastly different compared to normal school and hybrid learning. Like many things, it has its ups and downs. The Washburn Rural High School students participating in all online school are pioneers in uncharted territory. Al-Murrani is just one of them, but her experience with online school gives others an insight into what it is like for the all online learners.