Be The Light Movement

Emma Schroeder, Writer

In honor of Washburn Rural’s graduating seniors, WRHS is joining a nationwide movement to help seniors and their families feel supported during this trying time. The #bethelight movement attempts to do this by encouraging high schools across the United States to turn on their sports stadium lights to recognize the class of 2020 as well as those who have lost their spring sports seasons or activities. 

At WRHS specifically, the football and soccer stadiums will be illuminated starting this Friday, April 24th from 8:20-9:00 PM. This will continue each Friday at the same time until what would have been the end of the normal school year, May 15th. Beginning on May 1st, senior students are encouraged to bring their student IDs during these events so that they can receive gifts, including a senior class t-shirt, as they drive by the school. 

Attendees should remain in their cars with their families and maintain social distancing. Although everyone is welcome in their vehicles, the school discourages honking car horns out of respect for nearby residents. Cars should enter the WRHS campus by coming in through the west entrance near Wanamaker and continue on that path to exit campus from the east.