Winter Concerts

Lauren Miller, Writer

Washburn Rural High School students involved in choir, orchestra, and band will be having their winter concerts this week. 

The choir will kick it off on Monday night with their concert at 7 p.m. Following that will be the orchestra concert on Tuesday and the band concert on Thursday at the same time. The various groups will be performing holiday tunes that they have been practicing since early November. 

The holiday concert is a way for students involved in music to play/sing songs that their parents/families will recognize. It is a fun-filled way to finish off the 2019 fall semester. 

Senior Rachel McGlasson, an orchestra student, says that orchestra is a time to play some fun music. 

“It’s nice to have it as a first hour because it is a great way to start the day. I believe that music is just as important as your typical math and English classes. They provide active stimulation and it’s a good challenge if you’re truly invested in it.”

In regards to the new orchestra teacher, Heidi Parker, McGlasson is thrilled with her teaching style. 

“Mrs. Parker is very nice and she has done a great job. We have a lot of fun in class and she gives us lots of opportunities to give back to the school. I am excited to see what the future holds for us!”

The first hour orchestra will be playing a jazz version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Fire Dance, and Jupiter. Audience members can expect to hear similar classic tunes at all of the concerts this week.