Winter Sports Tryouts

Emma Schroeder, Writer

With the fall sports season coming to a close, winter sports have already begun. Many athletes began tryouts on Monday, Nov. 18 to try to earn spots and compete for different division levels on the WRHS sports teams. 

For boys’ basketball, 52 students are currently trying out for the team and approximately 32 students will be given a spot. 

“We have some talented kids that are team and program oriented. They have put in a lot of time since last season to be ready for this opportunity,” coach Kevin Muff said. 

The girls’ basketball team has 25 athletes in participation. 

“All of them made either the freshman team, JV team, or varsity team. Some will play part time on two different teams,” said coach Kevin Bordewick. 

Bordewick was optimistic about the talent that the girls portrayed during their tryouts. 

“[I’m] very pleased with the talent, but more pleased by the type of kids that tried out. All are hard workers and are really good kids that are coachable and fun to be around,” Bordewick said. 

The boys’ wrestling team will have about 56 boys on the team, with 14 of them on the first string. 

“They are currently ranked second in the state, although I feel that’s about one spot too low. This is going to be a fun year,” coach Damon Parker said. 

This is going to be the first ever season for the girls’ wrestling team, which was started this year. Exactly 60 girls are on the team, with everyone making the squad. 

“As far as talent goes, I have no idea.  This is a brand new adventure and the vast majority of our girls have never wrestled a match outside of our practice room.  However, I couldn’t be more pleased with the incredible amount of effort they have put forth. Additionally, it is amazing to see how so many girls from so many different walks of life have come together as a family in such a short period of time,” Parker said. 

Bowling and boys’ swim and dive are also considered winter sports. Bowling tryouts are on Dec. 2, and the boy’s swim team will have their first competition against Topeka West on Dec. 4.