Common Grounds Customer Appreciation Week

Lauren Miller, Writer

The Common Grounds coffee shop at Washburn Rural High School will be celebrating Common Grounds Appreciation Week this week to thank their frequent customers. 

The event lasts from Nov. 18 to Nov. 22. This is Common Ground’s eighth year holding this event. Customers have a chance to win a variety of prizes and free drinks this week. Some of the shop’s promotional events include the Coffee Bean Guess, where each student that buys a drink can guess how many coffee beans are in the jar. The winner will be announced after third lunch on Friday, Nov. 22. The reward is a gift basket including candy, a Spin pizza gift card, a B&B Theatre gift card, and a Common Grounds gift card. In addition, the eighth customer each day will get a free drink, a random customer will earn a free Common Grounds t-shirt each day, and customers can earn a Coffee Perks Card (get a free drink after eight purchases instead of nine). 

According to Common Grounds sponsor Brian McFall, students in the school’s Marketing Management course “manage and operate the school’s coffee shop, gaining experience with customer/human relations, inventory, sales, promotion, and product development.”

The shop helps student management learn important organizational and cooperative skills that will benefit them later in life. In addition, students at Washburn Rural have frequent access to delicious coffee products before school and during their lunch period. The Common Grounds staff encourages all students to make purchases at the school coffee shop.