Fall Sports Review 2019

Jordyn Seamans, Writer/Photographer/Page Designer

The fall sports season has come to an end and Washburn Rural ended strong. In cross country, the boys won Washburn Rural’s first class 6A team championship. Selected by city coaches, six of Washburn Rural’s boys were placed on the All City team. These boys on the team include seniors Wyatt Allen, Rylan Brown, Jordan Tremblay and Caleb Wright, junior Arrik White and sophomore Alex Holmes.

In boys soccer, they won the league championship 25 times in a row. Seniors Chase Clausing and Kevin Monge were placed on the All-Centennial League boys soccer first team. Three soccer players from Washburn Rural were handed honorable mentions. This includes junior Jack Hutchinson, and sophomores Wyatt Arnold and Porter Schafersman.

The girls golf team swept city, Centennial League, and Class 6A regional team championships before a fourth place finish at state. Four players were placed on the 2019 All-City girls golf team. This includes senior Cassidy McMaster, junior Madelyn Luttjohann, and sophomores Kaitlyn Crough and McKenna Merrick.

The volleyball team placed second at the class 6A championship, close behind Blue Valley. The team started the year with only two experienced seniors, Macy DeLeye and Eisa Mondragon, and had five freshmen on their state roster.

The whole girls tennis team is represented on the All-City team by the following students after a strong showing. Sophomore Sheriden Wichman was the city champion in No. 1 singles while freshman Meredith Kucera was the city champion in No. 2 singles and freshmen Hailey Beck and Kate Fritz were the city champs in No. 2 doubles. Seniors Grace Bradbury and Halley Robinett placed third in the city meet and took second at regionals as all six Rural players qualified for the 6A state tournament.

The football team won 3 out of their 9 games. Throughout the season, some star players were Jaylen Carter and Cooper Carlgren.