Girls Golf Competes at State

Hope Oswald, Writer

After coming back as champions from the Centennial League and Regionals, the Washburn Rural High School Girls Golf team finished in fourth place at the state championship. 

The team has now won Centennial League for their tenth year, making a decade-long winning streak. Additionally, four members of the girls golf team have found a place on the 2019 All-City girls golf team. Senior Cassidy McMaster, junior Madelyn Luttjohann, and sophomores Kaitlyn Crough and McKenna Merrick will be joining the All-State team. Crough became city individual champion, and Luttjohann is a regional champion. Crough, Luttjohann, and McMaster all returned as state medalists. Luttjohann looks back fondly on her season.

“I didn’t end up doing as good as I wanted to at state,” Luttjohann said. “I’m still proud of the team and my performance throughout the season leading up to it.”

‘I would say my highlight was definitely regionals,” Luttjohann said. “I won the tournament after having a playoff with my teammate Cassidy McMaster because we got the same score. It was my first tournament win so it was a really big accomplishment for me.”

McMaster also has fond memories of her past season.

“I will forever cherish the fun memories I made with the girls. They made golf, which can sometimes be very frustrating, fun and something I looked forward to every day. And my coaches always pushed me to be a better golfer. Without them, I don’t think I would be even close to the player I am today,” McMaster said. 

McMaster is not entirely satisfied with how she performed at state, but is still appreciative of the experience.

“I don’t think any of us were too happy with our performance, as we had worked hard all year to try and get in the top three,” McMaster said. “But the conditions were tough, and even though the outcome was not what we strived for, it was still a really good experience and one that I will always remember.”