Volleyball Competes at State Championship

Lauren Miller, Writer

The Washburn Rural High School women’s volleyball team took second place overall in their 6A State championship match against Blue Valley High School. 

The championship matches took place on Saturday, Nov. 2. The team lost by a narrow margin against the Tigers with scores of 26-24, 25-21. Despite the loss, seniors Macy DeLeye and Eisa Mondragon are proud of all the team has accomplished this season. They are the only two seniors on the team with a state lineup of five freshmen. Over the past four years, both girls have gotten to witness all of the team’s ups and downs. 

“We always took a step forward. It had a bittersweet ending. I will never forget this group of girls and all the things I have learned from them! The memories will last forever!” DeLeye said. 

The group managed to win two sets against Blue Valley North which propelled them to the championship game against Blue Valley. Though the team ultimately lost, they managed to rise from a tenth place ranking to a spot in the championship game.

“It is not an individual sport!” DeLeye said. “You win as a team and you lose as a team!”

Mondragon loves the camaraderie and teamwork that goes into the sport.

Being apart of this team has meant the world to me. Before the season, I was not expecting to build the friendships that I did. Building these friendships also helped our chemistry on the court,” Mondragon said. “I never thought that I would be so close to a group of girls.”

There’s no telling what next season will hold, but the team’s rise in the ranks this year indicates a bright future ahead.