Scholar’s Bowl

Emma Schroeder, Writer

The Washburn Rural Scholar’s Bowl team is preparing for the start of their competitive season later this October. The leadership of the team is currently under transition. The previous coach,  History teacher Brian Meredith, recently moved to Egypt to teach at an IB school, handing the activity over to AP Literature and Composition teacher Cindy Burgett. 

“I’m not making a lot of changes, but students will be asked to write questions for practice as a part of their contribution to the team effort and we will travel to more tournaments this year,” Burgett said. 

Last year, the scholar’s bowl team took fourth at the state tournament. Although this was a great achievement, the team is looking to make improvements. Their goal this year is to take home a trophy. Since the squad has a fair number of returning members from last year, Burgett is optimistic about their chances. 

Scholar’s Bowl is often described as a fast-paced team activity that expects teams to have a vast knowledge about a variety of topics. 

“Scholars Bowl gives students an opportunity to interact with and be part of a group that’s fun and competitive, and I bet that we can even learn something along the way,” Burgett said. 

Anyone interested in Scholar’s Bowl should contact Ms. Burgett or come to her room at D536. Practices are held Mondays after school.