• March 19Summer Drivers Education Enrollment, Auditorium; 5:30-7:30 pm

• March 19Girls Dive Meet @ Emporia HS; 4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Cheer Tryout Clinic; 3:15-5:30 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 3:05-4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 7 - 7:50 am

Boys are State Bound

Emily Burris, Online Editor

For the first time since 2011, the Jr. Blues Boys Basketball team is headed to Wichita for the 6A State Tournament. Finishing Sub-State with a 20-1 record the boys will be the top seed in the tournament. To put this into perspective, one of the 12 varsity players has competed in a high school state tournament. Sophomore Brady Patterson competed with the baseball team at state last year. That means this experience will be a first for all of the seniors.

Feb. 27 the Jr. Blues began their Sub-State against Hutchinson. The team triumphed beating them 55-30. Advancing to the championship the boys faced off against Gardner-Edgerton March 1. Keeping their focus and stride the blues came out victorious winning 55-31.

Following the trophy ceremony the team ran over to the student section to celebrate with their friends. The students jumped around and cheered then all got together for a group picture.

The Jr. Blues will begin their state competition March 6 against Lawrence Free State at 6:30 p.m. If they win the boys will advance to play on March 8 at 8:15. p.m. On March 9 the losers of the quarterfinal games will face off at 2 p.m. to battle for third place and the championship game will take place at 6:15 p.m.

Emily Burris, Online Editor

Hi! I’m Emily Burris and I am a senior at Washburn Rural High School. This is my third year on the newspaper staff. I am the Online Editor and write...