Wrestling Team Finds Success at 6A Regionals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

The 6A Regional KSHSAA tournament was on Feb. 15 and Feb. 16. The wrestling team made the trip down to Garden City to compete against 17 other teams with hopes to qualify all 14 wrestlers for the state tournament the following weekend on Feb. 22 and 23.

After two hard fought days of wrestling, 13 Washburn wrestlers qualified for state and two were Regional Champions. The team placed third behind two talented teams and did their best to go into state with high seeds.

To qualify for state, each wrestler needed to win two total matches. The first qualifier of the day was sophomore Bishop Murray. With a still undefeated record, Bishop was able to breeze by his components and win the tournament.

13 of the 14 wrestlers won their first match, making a great first round for the team.

Sophomore Bowan Murray won his first two matches as well, finishing the tournament off with a third place win.

At weight class 126, junior Gavin Collins pulled out two matches in a row and was the third qualifier for the team.

They then had a bit of a slump, until junior Cole Wells won his second match of the day and qualified for State. Wells went on to finish second in the tournament, a big achievement as he was not brought up to varsity until the week of Regionals.

After Wells, the next qualifier was junior Gavin Carter. The previous State Champion placed second at Regionals against tough competition, preparing him for the upcoming State meet and hopefully a second championship.

Senior Preston Williams then went on to not only win his first two matches, but his next two after that, and finished as the Regional Champion. Williams has only lost two matches this season and is looking for his first State title.

The other eight wrestlers then went on to wrestle in the consolation round the next day in hopes of qualifying. Seven of those eight won another match and were able to sneak onto the podium.

Freshman Nick Vincent, sophomore David Huckstep, juniors John Vincent and Caleb Douglas, and seniors Dalton Sparling, Jake Brunton, and Caden Cress wrap up the State qualifier list.

John ended the tournament in eighth place, Huckstep, Brunton, Cress, and Sparling placed seventh, Nick placed sixth, and Douglas ended in third place.

The team lost by 19.5 points to Derby High School and 10.5 point to Manhattan High School. They qualified 13 wrestlers, which is a new school record, and they are ready to travel to Wichita in hopes of bringing home more medals and the big trophy.