Girls Basketball 1/14-18

Major Copeland, Writer

This past week has been quite an eventful one for the Washburn Rural High School Girls Basketball team.  They played a total of three games, two on the road against Seaman and Shawnee Mission North and there final game against the Junction City Blue Jays.

The Lady Blues managed to maintain their spotless record beating all three teams.

Jan. 14 the Lady Blues faced off against Shawnee Mission North. By halftime the girls had a good lead with the score being 43-14.

Then as they entered the third quarter they added more points to their lead making it 57-25. There were  many star players on Monday.

Carly Bachelor contributed a game high of 19 points while Kasey Hamilton and Shelby Ebert added 13 and Emma Krueger with ten.

Then on Jan. 15 the Lady Blues faced off against the Seaman Vikings. The girls started the game on the right foot opening the first quarter with a 17-4 lead.

The team went on to lead by 20 points for the majority of the game. Leaving the court with a final score of 66-44.

The final game against Junction City added a bow to the the teams sweet victory. Bachelor, Ebert and Hamilton all scored 11 points in the first quarter of the game and the bench was emptied by the second half.

Freshmen Campbell Bagshaw scored ten after halftime and  Junior Lakhota Conklin shot six of her eight points in the third quarter.

The Blue Jays had 24 turnovers with nine of those being in the first quarter. In the final quarter a 13 minute scoreless stretch by the Blue Jays allowed the Lady Blues to add points to the board making the total 65-10 with a little over five minutes left in the game.

The Lady Blues never gave up. For most, three back to back games would have been challenging and tiring, but for the Blues it seemed like routine.

The Lady Blues face another daunting task this following week as they begin the Shawnee Heights tournament, with games Jan. 24 through Jan. 26.