Wrestling Jan 11-12

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

After a successful weekend at Shawnee Mission South, the wrestling team traveled down to Newton, Kan. to compete in was is thought to be a more challenging tournament than Kansas 6A State; the Newton Tournament of Champions. This tournament is two days long with 26 teams from Kan., Okla., and Mo. competing in it.

The first day, Washburn Rural was very successful, advancing everyone to the second day and qualifying two wrestlers for the finals and ending the day in second place.
The next day did not go as well as there were various incidents resulting in the loss of team points. Aside from that, Washburn had 5 placers, two of which were champions. Freshman Austin Fager, sophomore David Huckstep, and junior Gavin Carter all placed third while sophomore Bishop Murray and senior Preston Williams won their championship matches.

Murray kept his undefeated record alive beating the number two ranked 106 pounder from Dodge City 5-1. Williams also won his match easily by defeating his opponent from Bishop Carroll 18-10.

The team had a total of 146.5 points, earning sixth place overall. Their next wrestling meet will be at home on Thursday, Jan. 17 against Olathe Northwest, Olathe South, and Lawrence Free State for their senior night starting at 5 pm.