Wrestling Jan 4-7

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

Once Christmas break ended, the wrestling team did not waste any time getting back into their season. On Friday, Jan. 4, the team went down to Blue Valley Southwest to compete in their annual dual with this highly skilled team. They did not get the results they were looking for, but the team still compete hard and kept the score close.

They started with sophomore Bishop Murray comfortably beating his opponent who was ranked number three in 5A state. After that, Blue Valley Southwest had a 5 match winning streak, putting the blues down 3-23 going into the 145 pound match.

Freshman Austin Fager came out and got a pin to earn the team six points and put them back in the dual.

After Fager, BVSW hit another win streak, this time of three, and put themselves ahead 37-9  going into the 182 pound match.

BVSW was open at the 182, 195, 220, and 285 pound weight classes, meaning they did not have anyone to wrestle at those weights and Washburn is awarded six points for each match they did not get to wrestle.

After all 24 points were awards, the team still fell short to BVSW 37-33. They did not take a break however as they traveled back to Kansas City the following morning, this time to compete in the Shawnee Mission South Invitational.

Last year, they won this tournament with points to spare and took home the outstanding wrestler award with one of their senior wrestlers. This year, the tournament went about the same, if not better, for the Junior Blues.

After a long day of wrestling, there was seven champions, five second places, five third places, one fourth place, and an outstanding wrestler once again. The team scored a total of 269 points which breaks their record last year of 242 team points.

This weekend’s champions were freshman Fager, sophomores Bishop and David Huckstep, juniors Gavin Carter and John Vincent, and seniors Preston Williams and Caden Cress. Second place medalists were freshman Jacob Tangpricha, junior Cole Wells and seniors Caleb Johnston, Drake Graybeal, and Will Matherly. Third place medalists were freshmen Trace Lawler and Nick Vincent, sophomore Bowan Murray, junior Caleb Douglas, and senior Jake Brunton. The fourth place medalist was junior Tagen Stringfield and the Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament was Williams.

After this hard fought weekend of wrestling, they team will be off until Friday, Jan. 11 when they travel down to Newton, Kan. to compete in one of the most challenging tournaments in the state.