• January 19Topeka Sizzlers Basketball, Activity Center; 7 - 10 pm

• January 19V Boys Basketball @ Basehor-Linwood Mid-Season Tournament

• January 19Dancin' Blues @ Miss Kansas Dance Competition, Olathe South; 9 am

• January 18V Boys Basketball @ Basehor-Linwood Mid-Season Tournament; 4:30 pm

• January 18Girls Basketball v Junction City, Activity Center; 4:30 - 10 pm

Wrestling Dec. 6-15

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

On Dec. 6, the Washburn Wrestling team opened up their dual season with a win. They traveled down to Chanute and won nine out of the 14 matches with five being pins. The ending team score was 41-16.

The following weekend, they competed in the 16th Annual Cougar Invitational tournament at Shawnee Mission Northwest High School. They left the tournament as champions with sophomore Bishop Murray, junior Caleb Douglas, and senior Preston Williams all placing first is their weight classes.

Other medalists at the Cougar Invitational were seniors Caden Cress and Jake Brunton, juniors John Vincent and Zach Runau, sophomore David Huckstep, and freshman Austin Fager.

On Dec. 14, they went to Bishop Carroll to compete in the tournament the following morning. The team kept their win streak alive by placing first at the tournament by 22 points. There was a cluster of placers throughout the day.

Murray won the 106 weight class again, keeping his undefeated record. At 113, Douglas placed third. Junior Gavin Collins placed third in the 120 weight class. Fager pinned his way to a first place win in the 145 weight class. At 182, Junior Gavin Carter also placed first, another person with an undefeated record this season. Senior Drake Graybeal won his last match to place third in the 195 pound class. At 220, Williams placed second.

Overall, the team had three individual champions and a first place win for the team. Along with that, Carter won the award for Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament.

Once break ends, they will head down to Blue Valley Southwest on Jan. 4 and then to Shawnee Mission South the following day.

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

Hey I'm Danielle. I’m a senior and this is my third year on the newspaper staff. I write, take pictures, and design pages for the paper. I am involved...