Boys and Girls Basketball Open Their Seasons

Emily Hoopes and Major Copeland

On Nov. 30, Washburn Rural High School kicked off their basketball season. Students and parents alike came to the school to see their fellow peers put everything they had into the first game of the season.

Both teams played second ranked Blue Valley North. This game was a break in a common trend with the Washburn Rural girls basketball team.This is the first season opener that the team has won in several years. The Lady Blues came out on top with a 53-46 win.

The game was close until the end when Freshmen Emma Krueger and Carly Bachelor helped secure a win with a basket and two free throws.

Before those game winning points the Mustangs were in the lead during the first quarter with 12-11 and ended the half with 22-18.

But the Lady Blues came back with a new found boost and opened the second half with six points straight, resulting from a three by Kasey Hamilton and another three point play by Bachelor. Giving them 40-28 as they entered  the fourth quarter.

The Lady Blues went on to lead by 16 points twice during the fourth quarter before Blue Valley north made several attempts to get back in the lead but the Mustangs never made it past their final margin.

Bachelor  finished with a game-high 20 points and also got  10 rebounds. Hamilton, had 12 points and senior Shelby Ebert added nine, including a pair of 3-pointers.

Krueger finished with  seven points in her first varsity game while junior Riley Bagshaw, with her first varsity start, made  15 rebounds.

The Blue Valley Mustangs did not have a single player hit the double digits, leading to the first Lady Blue win of the season.

The boys varsity team came out with plenty of energy increasing there lead throughout the entire game.

Sophomore, Joe Berry, lead the team in scoring with the first six points of the game and ending with a career high of 24 points in total. Along with four other teammates making it into double digits, the junior blues never once trailed in scoring within the game.

Shooting 52.3 percent from the field the game concluded with a 69 to 47 victory. Head coach Kevin Muff, is expecting to build off the win and looks forward to the upkeep of energy as the team faces Shawnee Mission Northwest on Tuesday, December 4th.