• December 12V Scholars Bowl Tournament @ Lawrence Free State; 4 pm

• December 12TG Tour of Topeka; 8:30 am - 3:15 pm

• December 12StuCo Meeting, Auditorium; 7:30 - 7:55 am

• December 11B/G JV & V Basketball @ Emporia; 4:30 pm

• December 11PD - DOK In-Service, Staff Lounge; 8 am - 3:30 pm

Overview of Kevin Hines’ Speech

Back to Article
Back to Article

Overview of Kevin Hines’ Speech

Emily Burris, Online Editor

The WRHS Activity Center filled with students and faculty on Nov. 16 to listen to Kevin Hines speak about his life and his experiences. Hines began with his early childhood where he was left on a mattress in a dangerous hotel with his baby brother. CPS ultimately saved him and his brother from there and it was intended that they would be adopted together. This was not the case because somewhere in the middle his brother got very sick and passed away. Hines was adopted by the Hines family where he would have two other siblings, also adopted. In early elementary he recalls hearing voices other than his conscious in his head. Not knowing what they meant he ignored them and they ultimately went away. Those voices would come back when he was 17. Hines was a theater kid in high school. On stage one night he reports that his brain broke. Hines remembers not being able to form a cohesive sentence for a while after his mental break. He began seeing a psychiatrist to help work through the trauma of his early life. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and suffered the ups and downs for two more years until he felt like he just could not hold on any longer. Hines got on a bus headed towards the Golden Gate Bridge. Sobbing and being mocked the whole way there he felt certain that he would jump off. When he got to the bridge he paced back and forth hoping someone would stop him, hoping someone-anyone-would show they care. One woman stopped him but not to ask if he was okay, she wanted him to take her picture. After his encounter with the lady he jumped off of the bridge. On his way to the water he remembers instantly regretting it and hoping that he would somehow be saved. Hines hit the water at a decent enough angle that he broke bones in his legs. Hines reports that a sea lion kept him afloat until he was saved. Hines decided that he would not let his voices control him anymore. The voices are still there and the temptation is constantly putting pressure on him but he is not going to let them get the better of him.

His message was a much needed message for the WRHS student body. Hines went into enough detail to effectively get his point across but not to that point that it was too gruesome. The speech said everything that needed to be said in a way that no one else could have. Presentations and suicide prevention speakers do not always get the point across effectively. It is hard for people to really receive the impact from someone who has not been through it. It allows students to relate and sympathize with him.