WRHS Holds Veterans Day Assembly

Lauren Miller, Writer

On Nov. 8, Washburn Rural High School held an assembly to honor military personnel who have served, are currently serving, or have died in active duty.

Students gathered to reflect on the sacrifices of these individuals. Veterans were invited to attend the assembly, which included performances by the Junior Blues’ Choir and Marching Band.

Leading the assembly was Lieutenant Colonel Ronald Daniels, followed by Cadet Lieutenant Colonel Joe Sittenauer, the Corps Commander of the AFJROTC unit. Sittenauer appreciates every chance to bring awareness to the hardships facing soldiers across the nation.

“The Veterans Day assembly that we host is one of the most important events that we can put on,” Sittenauer said. “Students can directly observe the dedication and service of the soldiers and veterans in attendance.”

A guest speaker at the assembly was Douglas Andresen, a veteran who is now a chemistry teacher at Washburn Rural. Numerous organizations were invited to attend the assembly, including the Military Order of the World Wars (MOWW), the American Legion, the Military Officers Association of America (MOAA), the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and the 190th Air Refueling Wing.

“I want people to know that Veterans Day is not just for military personnel to recognize,” Sittenauer said. “Everyone in the community must realize the importance of those who have served our country.”