• November 13Fall Jazz Concert with WRMS Jazz Band, Auditorium; 7 - 8 pm

• November 12Girls Tennis Banquet/Awards Night, Cafeteria; 6:30 - 7:30 pm

• November 12Wrestling Alpha Weigh-In, Locker Room; 3:05 pm

• November 12Musical Dance Audition Workshop, Auditorium; 3 - 4:30 pm

• November 12First Day of Winter Sports Practices and Tryouts

Washburn Rural AFJROTC defeats Shoals American Legion

Erik Anderson

Shooting their highest score of the season Washburn Rural AFJROTC defeated Shoals American Legion 886 to 744 last week in the National Air Rifle League. Their second win in a row. With the win, Washburn Rural AFJROTC is in sixth place within their ‘Air Force Jrotc’ conference.  They currently have a 3 – 2 record. Washburn Rural AFJROTC was led by, Zoe Spangler who shot a 228. The remaining contributing members were Vishva Shah, Chris Beeson, and Winter Doud. Washburn Rural AFJROTC is from Topeka, KS, and is coached by MSgt Wayne Long.

Shoals American Legion currently has a 1 – 4 record. Shoals American Legion was led by, Wyatt Asbell who shot a 206. The remaining contributing members were Gilbert Austin, Cade Maschino, and Gilbert Gage. Shoals American Legion is from Shoals, IN, and is coached by Chrystal Maschino.

Next up Washburn Rural AFJROTC will compete against William Floyd NJROTC from Mastic Beach, NY. William Floyd NJROTC currently has a 4 – 1 record. While Shoals American Legion will compete against Broken Arrow AFJROTC from Broken Arrow, OK. Broken Arrow AFJROTC currently has a 1 – 4 record.

These two teams are competing in the Distinguished Division of the Orion National Air Rifle League. Sponsored by the Orion Scoring System, the league is a national team league for high school teams and junior rifle clubs. The league has two parts. An 8 week regular season going on now, followed by a single game Conference Title Game for the top two teams in each conference.

In each game the teams compete in what is known as a Three-Position Air Rifle match. The match is modeled after Olympic Rifle competitions but adapted to high school age athletes. Each athlete will shoots 10 shots in three different shooting positions, prone, standing, and kneeling. Each shot is worth a maximum of 10 points. The sum of points scored in the 30 shots is the athlete’s total. The team score is comprised of the best four athletes from each team.