• November 14V Scholars Bowl Tournament, Hayden; 4 pm

• November 14Musical Auditions for Grease, Auditorium; 3 - 5:30 pm

• November 14LifeTouch Pictures, WRHS; 8 am - 1 pm

• November 13Fall Jazz Concert with WRMS Jazz Band, Auditorium; 7 - 8 pm

• November 12Girls Tennis Banquet/Awards Night, Cafeteria; 6:30 - 7:30 pm

Head Coach Steve Buhler Celebrates 150 Wins

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

Steve Buhler is the head football coach for Washburn Rural’s team and after a few successful seasons, he reached a great milestone. Buhler’s first year coaching at Washburn was in 2013. He transferred from the head coaching position at Rossville High School in hopes to turn this school’s program around, and that is exactly what he did.

His first season as a coach, the team had a winning record of 5-4. However, their next year was more of a transition season for the Blues as they went 2-7 but quickly improved for the 2015 season.

In 2015, they went 5-4 once again. They had some big wins but this season as well was only setting them up for the years to come.

2016 was a big year for Buhler and his team. They finished the season 7-4 but accomplished a lot along the way. They hosted the first round of playoffs for the first time since the 1990s. They also not only advanced to the second round of playoffs, but defeated Manhattan High School 24-21 to move on yet another round. Sadly, the team fell short to Lawrence Free-State by three points but many of them saw this more as an accomplishment of all they had worked for instead of a loss.

This successful season prepared them for many years to come and turned the football program of Washburn Rural High School around. In 2017, the Blues completed another season with a 4-5 record but fell short during the first round playoff game.

This season, the team had more fight and drive than ever. They are currently at a 7-2 record and after hosting and defeating Garden City on Friday Oct. 26, they are moving on to the next round of playoffs. This season’s wins helped Buhler improve his record as a coach and reach a milestone.

Combined with his successful season as head coach at Rossville, Buhler is now celebrating 150 wins throughout his coaching career. This is a huge accomplishment but he is not done there. The team will compete in the second round of playoff on Friday Nov. 2 in hopes of starting Buhler’s next 150 wins.

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

Hey I’m Danielle. I’m a senior and this is my third year on the newspaper staff. I write, take pictures, and design pages for the paper. I am involved in powerlifting and track for the school and am a manager for football and wrestling. In my free time, I read, watch lots of movies, and go to pretty much any sporting event. After high school, I plan to attend the University of Missouri and major in Athletic Training.