• November 13Fall Jazz Concert with WRMS Jazz Band, Auditorium; 7 - 8 pm

• November 12Girls Tennis Banquet/Awards Night, Cafeteria; 6:30 - 7:30 pm

• November 12Wrestling Alpha Weigh-In, Locker Room; 3:05 pm

• November 12Musical Dance Audition Workshop, Auditorium; 3 - 4:30 pm

• November 12First Day of Winter Sports Practices and Tryouts

Football Wins First Round of Playoffs

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

On Friday Oct. 26, the football team played in the first round of playoffs against Garden City High School. Being the higher seed, Washburn got to defeat Garden City 21-7 in front of their home stands. This advances the team to the second round of playoffs.

The game started off with Washburn scoring the first touchdown with a long pass from senior quarterback Jordan White to senior wide receiver Preston Williams. After a successful extra point attempt from junior Joey Blakesley, the Blues took the lead 7-0 early on in the game.

Shortly after the Blues’ touchdown, Garden City scored one of their own and tied the game up 7-7. However, this is the only touchdown the Wild Bunch defense would let by during the rest of the game.

The second quarter was a successful one for the Blues as White rushed into the endzone for a touchdown and Williams caught a pass for another six points. Going into the locker room for half time, Washburn was up 21-7.

The second half was very uneventful as neither team scored any more points. The football team is now at a 6-2 record for the season.

On Friday Nov. 2, the team will travel over to Hummer Sports Park to compete against Topeka High School for a chance to move onto the third round of playoffs. These two teams have met once before, with the Blues losing 63-38. However, Washburn was leading up until the third quarter. They will face off at 7 p.m. as the Blues try to add another win to their record and play the winner of the Derby-Dodge City High School game.

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

Hey I’m Danielle. I’m a senior and this is my third year on the newspaper staff. I write, take pictures, and design pages for the paper. I am involved in powerlifting and track for the school and am a manager for football and wrestling. In my free time, I read, watch lots of movies, and go to pretty much any sporting event. After high school, I plan to attend the University of Missouri and major in Athletic Training.