• December 12V Scholars Bowl Tournament @ Lawrence Free State; 4 pm

• December 12TG Tour of Topeka; 8:30 am - 3:15 pm

• December 12StuCo Meeting, Auditorium; 7:30 - 7:55 am

• December 11B/G JV & V Basketball @ Emporia; 4:30 pm

• December 11PD - DOK In-Service, Staff Lounge; 8 am - 3:30 pm

Cross Country Team Competes at Regionals

Lauren Miller, Writer

The Washburn Rural Cross Country team attended regionals last Saturday at Warner Park in Manhattan. The boys and girls varsity teams got second and third place, respectively. The JV girls team got first place overall. The top three teams at regionals qualify for the state meet on Oct. 27.  Matthew Swedlund, head Cross Country coach, is optimistic about the team’s success this year.

“It wasn’t easy but our success at Regionals is a nice confidence booster going into the State Meet,” Swedlund said.

Swedlund loves motivating the athletes and helping them improve.

“Sports and competition offers so many great learning experiences,” Swedlund said. “I thoroughly enjoy the entire process but there is nothing quite like watching a young person’s hard work pay off when they run a great race and achieve their goals.”

Junior Jordan Tremblay is optimistic for the State meet and is working to improve his individual performance.

“It’s all about how much time you put in, how committed, and how much you love it that determines how successful you’ll be,” Tremblay said. “I fell in love with the sport when I realized what it can do for you and how far it can take you in life.”

The team has participated in seven meets so far this season. After school practices began on Aug. 15 and will continue through the fall. The State meet will be on Oct. 27 at Rim Rock in Lawrence, KS.

Lauren Miller, Writer

I’m Lauren Miller, a junior at Washburn Rural, and this is my first year on the Blue Streak staff. I love to read, write, and spend time with my family....