• March 19Summer Drivers Education Enrollment, Auditorium; 5:30-7:30 pm

• March 19Girls Dive Meet @ Emporia HS; 4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Cheer Tryout Clinic; 3:15-5:30 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 3:05-4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 7 - 7:50 am

Varsity Football Falls to Topeka High

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

On Friday Oct. 5, the football team traveled to Hummer Sports Park to compete against Topeka High School. They played hard and took the lead early on, but fell short in the end, losing 63-38.

The Blues came out strong with running back Jaylen Carter scoring on the first possession of the game. They scored again shortly after with a pass from Jordan White to Preston Williams, leading the game 13-0.

The beginning of the second quarter, Topeka High led 14-13. Jaylen Carter then scored another touchdown from an 85 yard kick return, putting the Blues up by 19-14 after a failed attempt at a two point conversion.

Drew Bortz scored later in the second quarter and the half ended with the Blues up by 4.

In the second half, the Blues scored two more touchdowns in the third quarter, both by Williams. The quarter ended with Washburn leading 38-35, but they could not contain Topeka High’s offense any more.

Topeka High scored six touchdowns bringing them to their 63-38 win.

The Washburn Rural football team now has a record of 3-2. They will be back at it on Thursday, Oct. 11 against Topeka High.

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

Hey I'm Danielle. I’m a senior and this is my third year on the newspaper staff. I write, take pictures, and design pages for the paper. I am involved...