• March 19Summer Drivers Education Enrollment, Auditorium; 5:30-7:30 pm

• March 19Girls Dive Meet @ Emporia HS; 4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Cheer Tryout Clinic; 3:15-5:30 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 3:05-4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 7 - 7:50 am

Junior Blues are Victorious Against Topeka West

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lauren Miller, Writer

The Washburn Rural Junior Blues defeated the Topeka West Chargers on Sept. 28 with a final score of 47-19.

The Junior Blues, achieving a  4-1 record overall , came out of the first half with a lead of 21-3. Washburn Rural held onto this lead for the rest of the game. The Chargers, scoring a 23-yard field goal in the first half, were unable to keep up with the Blues.

The Junior Blues made four touchdowns in the second half. Stand out players for Washburn Rural include senior Jordan White and junior Cortez Sanders. White covered 403 yards and completed 16 of 24 passes. Sanders made 10 passes for 153 yards. While Topeka West came back to score the last 16 points of the game, they were kept down by the Blues’ defense.

The next game for the Junior Blues is at Hummer Sports Park against Topeka High on Oct. 5. The game begins at 7 p.m.

Lauren Miller, Writer

I’m Lauren Miller, a junior at Washburn Rural, and this is my first year on the Blue Streak staff. I love to read, write, and spend time with my family....