Cross Country Team Prepares For Season

Bri Wilson, Writer

Fall sports are in full swing as the school season begins. Washburn Rural cross country is preparing for their first meet on September 1.

Junior Jordan Tremblay has been running with the team since his freshman year and is excited to see what this year has to offer.

“I’m most excited for getting to compete with the best of the best in a couple of the meets we go to and see how the team and I compare to everyone else in the state,” Tremblay said.

Senior Jaybe Shufelberger is a four-year runner who has climbed her way to top varsity runner. She continues to push herself in her goals for the year.

“This year besides running personal bests, winning city, individually and as a team, [I look forward to] going to state as a team, and placing top 20 at state,” Shufelberger said.

Despite the individual runners, cross country is a team sport. Shufelberger looks forward to the season with her friends.

“This is the best team to be on and there are so many amazing people on the team and that have been on the team and I’ve made memories that I’ll cherish forever and so many more will be made this season,” Shufelberger said.

Cross country coach Swedlund looks back on last year and reflects on the opportunities for the new season.

“We graduated quite a few seniors on the guys’ side and some on the girls as well, so the makeup of the team always looks different,” Swedlund said. “We have some young people who will be in, probably contributing as well so that’s exciting to see.”