• October 19V Football vs Seaman (Senior Night), WRHS Turf Field; 7 pm

• October 18No School

• October 18Open Parent/Teacher Conferences, 12 - 3 pm

• October 17Student-Led Parent/Teacher Conferences, 5:20 - 8 pm

• October 17Open Parent/Teacher Conferences, 4 - 5:20 pm

Seniors participate in manhunt

Emily Burris, Online Editor

For seniors, the last few weeks of high school can be one of the most bittersweet times of their lives up to graduation. There are so many exciting things about to arise for them but at the same time it becomes very obvious that what they’ve gotten used to for the past four years of their life is about to be over. One of the most enjoyed senior activity is the manhunt. The manhunt is a game for the senior class where they are assigned a target and they have to go and get said target within a week. Once you get your first target you will have whoever they had, this pattern continues until there is two people left and then whoever gets the other person out wins the game and will receive a cash prize.

This year the game began on April 15, the day after prom. With students already planning to be out until morning because of post prom it was not a shock that people began hunting before the sun was up that morning. The first person to get out was Zach Ray. Ray was taken out of the game by Baylie Sigmund. Ray recalls that he didn’t expect it to happen so soon but he would have known if he would’ve checked his phone sooner.

“I didn’t know Baylie had me,” Ray said. “Someone texted me and told me about an hour before that she was going to be there but I just didn’t look at my phone until I was already there.”

For many, manhunt is truly a game of opportunity and connections. Unless who you have tells the wrong person, or just decides to tell you, the target will not know who has them which makes it hard to know who to trust. Some people use others in order to set up their target. The question for many becomes, is it worth it to lie to a friend for the sake of the game? For Kyra Rake the game is not worth deceiving friends but a little lie wouldn’t hurt.

“I know this game has been taken way too seriously and a lot of people have ruined friendships because of it,” Rake said. “I wouldn’t want to do that but a little lie just to get them out would not be a problem.”

Participants could put themselves into a situation where they have to stake out for their person to either come outside or get off of work. Some students are willing to wait hours and will spend most of the night staking out their person but Matt Wolfe is not interested in waiting that long to get his target.
“Honestly for me, if it’s not there right at the moment I’m gone,” Wolfe said. “I’m not trying to wait that long, I’d probably say like 10-15 minutes.”

Last year Ava Fowler won the manhunt and Rake hopes someone like her will win again because she enjoys an underdog story.

“I want to say that it will be one of the popular kids who wins, but I’m rooting for the underdogs,” Rake said. “Last year the girl that won wasn’t the most popular but that kind of helps because then you don’t have as big of a target on your back starting from the beginning.”