• August 16Cross Country Parent Information Meeting in the Library, 5:30 pm

• August 15Girls' Golf Parent Information Meeting @ Cypress Ridge Golf Course, 5:30 pm

• August 14First Day of School for Freshman and Returning Students

• August 13First Day of Fall Sports

• August 12WRHS Building Tours 2:00 - 4:00 pm

Popular majors

Emily Burris, Online Editor

Deciding to attend college after high school creates many choices for students to make. Where do they want to go? What they want to study. The questions seem endless. Deciding what to major in can be one of the hardest decisions for a young person to make. Generally, there are some majors that are generally more popular than others.

One of the most popular degrees is Business. Students who decide to go into business should be ready for increasing their communication and computer skills along with learning how to act professionally in order to make a lasting impression with the people you are around. According to College Board, it helps if a business major enjoys taking on leadership roles and can speak well and easily in front of his/her peers. A Bachelor’s degree in Business would take four years. If you choose to add a Master’s degree it would be one to two more years. For underclassmen interested in the Business field it would be helpful to take high school courses in Computer Applications, Accounting, Speech and Psychology. 20 students in the graduating class have declared their major as Business.

Another popular major is General Psychology. According to College Board, if students are going into this major it helps to excel in science, math and critical reading. This major is perfect for those who want to help a variety of people. Psychology majors need to prepare to spend time in the labs conducting research on people and possibly serving as a guinea pig for someone else’s research. While students attend high school it helps to take Chemistry, AP Statistics, AP Psychology and AP Biology. This college pathway will take at least four to five years. 18 students in the graduating class have declared their major as Psychology.

Nursing has remained one of the most popular majors over the last decade. To be a Nurse, students should start looking into jobs that are in the field to gain experience for resumes. As a Nursing student, you will have to take prerequisites in order to be admitted into the Nursing program. Students are more apt to be successful in this program if they are naturally the caregiver type or have good people skills. In high school you should look to take English composition, AP Psychology, AP Chemistry, and AP Biology.This college path should take four years. 23 students in the graduating class have declared their major to be Nursing.

A common major for those who love math and science is General Biology. Biology is an excellent major for those who enjoy learning how things work within an organism. Going in to this major, students will enroll in many math and science classes. Biology majors will spend time working in the lab along with fieldwork. It helps for students to start looking into internships as soon as possible. High schoolers looking into Biology should take AP Biology, Physics, Calculus, and AP Chemistry. 19 students the graduating class have declared their major to be Biology.

While it has been losing some popularity, going into Education remains one of the most popular majors. As a teacher, it helps if you excel at both listening and speaking with others. After Education majors get past their prerequisites, they will begin observing and helping out in classrooms to dip your toe into the career. In classes students will practice making lesson plans and teaching them to their peers. There will be courses to teach future teachers to better prepare themselves to work with kids in all circumstances. This pathway will take around four to five years, spending their last semester student teaching. 20 students the graduating class have declared their major to be Education.

For students hoping to major in accounting it helps to be attentive to detail and analytics. In college Accounting majors will learn how to use accounting information systems, learn to prepare tax filings and study tax laws. Following a students years in college, an Accountant major will be able to evaluate the efficiency and profitability of a company along with the ability to create and analyze balance sheets. To become a Certified Public Accountant, it will take five years. Nine students in the graduating class have declared their major to be Accounting.

As of right now, the nation’s most popular major are in growing fields of work. The projected growth rate is between 7 and 16 percent. Nursing has the highest growth rate, followed by psychology at 14 and education is lowest. In comparison to the most popular majors across the nation, at Washburn Rural High School the most popular major is Nursing, 23 students decided to study it.