• August 16Cross Country Parent Information Meeting in the Library, 5:30 pm

• August 15Girls' Golf Parent Information Meeting @ Cypress Ridge Golf Course, 5:30 pm

• August 14First Day of School for Freshman and Returning Students

• August 13First Day of Fall Sports

• August 12WRHS Building Tours 2:00 - 4:00 pm

Scholars bowl team is victorious

Michael Navarro, Guest Writer

The varsity Scholars Bowl team traveled across town for the Hayden High School invitational last Thursday night dressed in the most bizarre choice of wardrobe: onesies.

Despite Scholars Bowl coach Brian Meredith’s desire to disassociate himself from, what he believed was, the ridiculously dressed  team. The onesies seemed to play a pivotal role in the team’s success as they defeated Seaman in the championship round 90-30, claiming their second victory on the year.

We tend [to play] better when we are relaxed and having fun, and the onesies definitely helped us relax”

— Jake Berry

“I think [the onesies] really boosted our confidence,” junior newcomer Jake Berry said. “We tend [to play] better when we are relaxed and having fun, and the onesies definitely helped us relax.”

The road to the championship round was not easy nor short on stress for the team as they went 4-1 in pool play after suffering their only loss to Seaman 45-55 after a tiebreaker question.

“It’s always heartbreaking to lose a round, but it felt even worse dropping a tiebreaker, especially one any of us could have answered,” junior Grant Brooke said.

After a comfortable win against Topeka High, the team was in the clear to clinch the second seed in their pool but found themselves faced with an electronics policy violation—one with the potential to disqualify the team and end their tournament run.

It’s always heartbreaking to lose a round, but it felt even worse dropping a tiebreaker, especially one any of us could have answered.”

— Grant Brooke

Following the conclusion of the round, Topeka High submitted a challenge accusing junior Jimin Park of violating the electronics policy after he was observed playing Clash of Clans on his phone during the round.

The challenge was passed up to the tournament coordinator where the fate of the team lay in the hands of the rulebook. The Rules of Play state that, the disruption caused by a team member due to any sounds from communication devices will result in disqualification of the team for said round.

Despite having confidence in knowing that Park was not guilty of such actions, there was no certainty on how the coordinator would interpret the policy and rule on the matter.The team breathed a sigh of relief as it was determined that Park’s phone did not emit a sound nor disrupt the flow of the game at any time, thereby overturning Topeka High’s dispute against the team.

From there it was smooth sailing in the playoffs as the team defeated Shawnee Heights in the semifinal and redeemed their pool play loss in the championship against Seaman.

After failing to qualify to the finals in their last tournament at Wichita East, the team’s win at Hayden marks a turning point in their season.

“The loss [at Wichita East] still serves a motivator for future tournaments,” Brooke said.

The Scholars Bowl team will travel to De Soto on Nov. 28 for their next tournament—presumably not dressed in onesies, to Meredith’s delight.