• October 19V Football vs Seaman (Senior Night), WRHS Turf Field; 7 pm

• October 18No School

• October 18Open Parent/Teacher Conferences, 12 - 3 pm

• October 17Student-Led Parent/Teacher Conferences, 5:20 - 8 pm

• October 17Open Parent/Teacher Conferences, 4 - 5:20 pm

Chess team earns second place at tournament

Emily Pawley, Writer

The Washburn Rural High School chess team attended a tournament on Nov. 4. Overall, three students medaled and the team received 2nd. Freshman Sho Glashouser took first place, sophomore Jay Ram took 12th, sophomore Cooper Steinman took 18th.  Advisor of chess club, Timothy McVey, who is also a math teacher says that the team, including himself, were feeling pretty good going into it.

McVey said that he has been playing chess roughly since he was in fifth grade. Many of the  team members have also been playing since late elementary or early middle school. Glashouser started playing 10 years ago, Ram started playing chess seriously his freshman year of highschool but had been playing for many years previous, and Steinman has been playing since sixth grade.

{I would focus on} looking at our possible moves and just observing the chessboard more.”

— Cooper Steinman

“I’ve been on the team since freshman year because HJ made me and I’ve just kinda been stuck on it since. But you know I really like it and I’ve played chess in some elementary and middle school but I think I just started becoming decent in high school,” Ram said.  

The chess team took second at the tournament and are very humble and happy about it. If they were to go back and try to avoid losing two points Steinman says he would try to focus on possible later moves.

“{I would focus on} looking at our possible moves and just observing the chessboard more,” Steinman said.

However, according to freshman Andy Dawson, you cannot gain points back after already losing them. Ram says if he were to go back and do it again, he would pay more attention to getting himself food so getting hungry would not have been a distraction for him.

“I got really hungry during the third game,” Ram said. “During that game I was losing by a lot and I had to make a come back by a lot to make it a tie.”

The distraction caused Ram to lose a game he should not have because his concentration was on his next meal rather than the board in front of him.

We just need to practice more and figure out what we’re doing wrong so we can fix that.”

— Sho Glashouser

Some other difficulties players noticed was that they wanted more practice.

“We just need to practice more and figure out what we’re doing wrong so we can fix that,”  Glashouser says.

Steinman realized from this tournament that he needs to play chess more so he can have more experience and have a better understanding of what to do when.

“{I need to} look at the chess boards, to try to understand the correct moves to play,” Steinman said.

Many of the other participants also agree that they want more time to think about their moves since they were playing just 30 minutes. The team’s next tournament will be Saturday, Nov 11 at Jay Shideler.

Emily Pawley, Photographer/Writer

Hi! My name is Emily, I’m a sophomore and this is my first year on the newspaper staff. I enjoy writing things for school and in my free time you can probably find me with my dogs. I have a coonhound, puggle, and yorkie. Riley, my coonhound, is literally the love of my life. I like volunteering to help with Circle of Friends and going to soccer, football, and basketball games. I also enjoy spending loads of fun with my friends and family and going out with them a lot. I don’t really play any sports, although I used to play volleyball and I did dance and cheer. Some of my favorite shows and movies to watch on Netflix with my dogs is “Friends” and “Lilo and Stitch.” I really like to travelling with my family and going on roadtrips and adventures. I like going to the mountains and my aunt’s house, she lives on the coast of New England. Since I enjoy helping people so much I am hoping to study to be an occupational therapist at KU. When I get older I am ditching Kansas for somewhere with a view.