• May 4Girls Swim Team Wins City

• May 4Boys and Girls Track Team Wins City

• April 22Unified Soccer Tournament at Home from 1-5

• April 20Girls Soccer at Home Starting at 4:30

• April 20Softball Double Header at Home Starting at 4

Chess team earns second place at tournament

Emily Pawley, Writer

The Washburn Rural High School chess team attended a tournament on Nov. 4. Overall, three students medaled and the team received 2nd. Freshman Sho Glashouser took first place, sophomore Jay Ram took 12th, sophomore Cooper Steinman took 18th.  Advisor of chess club, Timothy McVey, who is also a math teacher says that the team, including himself, were feeling pretty good going into it.

McVey said that he has been playing chess roughly since he was in fifth grade. Many of the  team members have also been playing since late elementary or early middle school. Glashouser started playing 10 years ago, Ram started playing chess seriously his freshman year of highschool but had been playing for many years previous, and Steinman has been playing since sixth grade.

{I would focus on} looking at our possible moves and just observing the chessboard more.”

— Cooper Steinman

“I’ve been on the team since freshman year because HJ made me and I’ve just kinda been stuck on it since. But you know I really like it and I’ve played chess in some elementary and middle school but I think I just started becoming decent in high school,” Ram said.  

The chess team took second at the tournament and are very humble and happy about it. If they were to go back and try to avoid losing two points Steinman says he would try to focus on possible later moves.

“{I would focus on} looking at our possible moves and just observing the chessboard more,” Steinman said.

However, according to freshman Andy Dawson, you cannot gain points back after already losing them. Ram says if he were to go back and do it again, he would pay more attention to getting himself food so getting hungry would not have been a distraction for him.

“I got really hungry during the third game,” Ram said. “During that game I was losing by a lot and I had to make a come back by a lot to make it a tie.”

The distraction caused Ram to lose a game he should not have because his concentration was on his next meal rather than the board in front of him.

We just need to practice more and figure out what we’re doing wrong so we can fix that.”

— Sho Glashouser

Some other difficulties players noticed was that they wanted more practice.

“We just need to practice more and figure out what we’re doing wrong so we can fix that,”  Glashouser says.

Steinman realized from this tournament that he needs to play chess more so he can have more experience and have a better understanding of what to do when.

“{I need to} look at the chess boards, to try to understand the correct moves to play,” Steinman said.

Many of the other participants also agree that they want more time to think about their moves since they were playing just 30 minutes. The team’s next tournament will be Saturday, Nov 11 at Jay Shideler.