• October 19V Football vs Seaman (Senior Night), WRHS Turf Field; 7 pm

• October 18No School

• October 18Open Parent/Teacher Conferences, 12 - 3 pm

• October 17Student-Led Parent/Teacher Conferences, 5:20 - 8 pm

• October 17Open Parent/Teacher Conferences, 4 - 5:20 pm

School Spirit

Emily Burris, Online Editor

The Washburn Rural student section is a staple for most sporting events at the high school. The student body at WRHS has filled the bleachers on Friday nights for many years now. Not only is going to a sporting event a way to hang out with all of your closest friends every week, but it is a way to show the team support.

Senior Zac Chandler appreciates his peer’s willingness to not only have his back but also all of his teammate’s during the games.

“I appreciate them being there because it’s more fun to play with a crowd screaming and cheering for you than one that isn’t,” Chandler said.

JC Crowl, a junior on the football team, also believes that the student section assists the football team in getting hyped up before the game. Crowl credits the moment the football team runs out of the locker room as the moment that gets him pumped up the most.

When you run out of the locker room and the first thing you see is half the stands filled up with students you have no choice but to get excited”

— JC Crowl

“When you run out of the locker room and the first thing you see is half the stands filled up with students you have no choice but to get excited,” Crowl said.

There are three student spirit leaders for the high school, seniors Charles Dilliehunt, Macy Decker, and Ryan Cunningham. Dilliehunt believes that his job as a spirit leader is to keep the crowd excited and cheering on the teams and their friends.

“{I enjoy} being able to start cheers and when everyone is loud just knowing I started it,” Dilliehunt said.

The students who are regularly in attendance at sporting events enjoy cheering on their friends and peers every Friday night. Sophomore Jayda Smith has been attending almost every football and basketball game since her freshman year.

“It’s always a good way to get the student body together and just have a good time and cheer on the teams,” Smith said.

Camryn Boswell, a senior on the volleyball team enjoys when the student section gets loud when they make a big play. Boswell believes that those moments help to keep the momentum going for the girls on the court.

“Everyone screaming and yelling makes me want to do better,” Boswell said. “I makes us have a better game knowing that we have people there to support us.”

Katrina Connolly is a varsity cheerleader at WRHS and she thinks that the student section does a great job at getting students engaged and keeping their focus on the field. Connolly believes that the cheerleader’s part in the student section is to start fun cheers for everyone in the stands.

“The cheerleaders help get the crowd pumped by using signs and doing cheers that are easy to catch onto,” Connolly said.

Friday nights are life long memories, we won’t necessarily remember the amount of wins or losses but the atmosphere is something I’ll never forget”

— Jayda Smith

Smith continues to be at the football games because it is one of her favorite things about being in high school. She believes that these games will be some of her fondest memories after she graduates from high school.

“Friday nights are life long memories,” Smith said. “We won’t necessarily remember the amount of wins or losses but the atmosphere is something I’ll never forget.”

Overall Connolly believes that the WRHS student section is one of the best in the state, and that the student body as a whole is great at cheering on the teams.

“They always get everyone excited for the game,” Connolly said. “During the game they do a good job of cheering on the boys and getting everyone hype.”

Emily Burris, Online Editor

Hi! I’m Emily Burris and I am a senior at Washburn Rural High School. This is my third year on the newspaper staff. I am the Online Editor and write for the newspaper staff.  In my free time, I coach and play softball for the Storm Organization. In my free time I like to hang out with friends, listen to music, and watch movies. I love dogs. I have a Chocolate Lab named Max, a Maltipoo named Lily, and a Shih Tzu named Piper. If I had to eat one thing for the rest of my life I would eat Chick-fil-a’s waffle fries with Chick-fil-a sauce. My spirit animal is the koala because like me, they sleep a lot.