• August 16Cross Country Parent Information Meeting in the Library, 5:30 pm

• August 15Girls' Golf Parent Information Meeting @ Cypress Ridge Golf Course, 5:30 pm

• August 14First Day of School for Freshman and Returning Students

• August 13First Day of Fall Sports

• August 12WRHS Building Tours 2:00 - 4:00 pm

Tennis court addition

Megan Spangler, Writer

As Washburn Rural High School grows into their 100th year, the school’s tennis courts grow old. A two week renovation took place to repair and replace the worn down courts.

Last spring, the adhesive that used to hold the top layer to the asphalt began to tear away. As this began, the wind eventually made its’ way under the layer and pulled it back. However, the cover was under warranty and the company was able to honor the warranty.

The new courts are a new type of adhesive and are predicted to last longer than the previous did. However, there is some concern as to whether it will last as long as expected. Athletics and activity director Penny Lane explained that the product they put on the courts will hopefully last a long time.

[I am] relieved it is done and the disruption to practice is over. Coach Garland [from the middle school] and Coach Wampfler worked well together to keep this interruption to a minimum,”

— Head Coach, Kevin Hedberg

“The product we are using right now has been known to last on some surfaces for up to 20 years, now, we don’t know if ours is going to last that long or exactly how long it is going to last, so we are hopeful that we will get some good use out of it,” Lane said.

While the process of renovation was taking place there were concerns as to whether the middle school or high school teams would be affected. However, due to the help of coaches there was only slight interruptions. For the high school athletes, all varsity players practice at Topeka Country Club everyday so disruptions were minute. For head tennis coach Kevin Hedberg, he is thankful the project is completed.

“[I am] relieved it is done and the disruption to practice is over. Coach Garland [from the middle school] and Coach Wampfler worked well together to keep this interruption to a minimum,” Hedberg said.

As for the disruption of school, the company was able to work on the courts during the day, in the evening, and on Saturdays as well as Sundays.

For many players the maintenance of the court was helpful as the previous courts had many cracks and tears. However, athletes said the new court has no impact on their performance.As the school year is in place and the tennis athletes are hard at work, 10 new tennis courts are now renovated and ready for use.