Baseball brings season to an end

Danielle Pancoast, Writer

The varsity baseball team ended their season with a 12-9 record. They placed second in Centennial League and split with the three teams that tied for Centennial League Title. While the team did not get a run at State like most of them had hoped for, the players still made many memories and got the opportunity to become better players and people along the way.

Senior Zach Ebert played his final high school game last week. While he has four years of playing on the team, his favorite part was not entirely just about the game.

“My favorite part of playing with the high school team was creating friendships and getting to do what I love on the mound for my school,” Ebert said.

For head coach Jay Mastin, his season highlights had more to do with the player’s individual successes and seeing them develop throughout the season.

“(The most memorable part of the season) was Payton Smith’s double in the bottom of the seventh that beat Manhattan and Michael Schurig’s home run in extra innings to win the game against Seaman,” Mastin said. “Those were two big wins against two good teams.”

While this was an exciting moment for Mastin, sophomore Payton Smith will remember this as one of his favorite moments of the season as well.

“The highlight of the season for me was when we were playing against Manhattan and I hit a walk off single,” Smith said. “I’ve never hit a walk off before in my life so that was an exciting experience.”

Smith felt that the team could have hit better as a group this season and that could have contributed to more wins. While the season didn’t end as well as most of them would have liked, it taught a valuable lesson to Ebert.

“What I got out of the season was that things don’t always go your team’s way and the first thing you need to do is forget about it and move onto the next one,” Ebert said.

The baseball team had a hard season, losing four games by only one run. But along with Ebert, this season in particular has given Smith something to think about and he has realized how much harder he has to work next year for the outcome he wants.

“This season has changed me as a player by just kicking my butt. One second you are winning and feeling on top of the world and the next you were getting punched in the mouth but because of that I feel like an all around better player,” Smith said. “The one thing that I have gotten out of this year is that nothing is guaranteed.”

Mastin has hopes that the way the guys fought this season will show the younger players how hard they need to work and how they can’t give up when times are hard.

“I hope that the younger guys coming up see that we can compete with anyone,” Mastin said. “I hope they will work hard and push each other to get better everyday, so that we can get back to the state tournament.”

Ebert has had a great four years playing on the baseball team and has furthered his skill and love for the sport. This being Ebert’s last season, he has advice to the younger ball players as well, in hopes that this program continues to be successful.

“Put your heart into the game, high school sports go by faster than you think,” Ebert said. “Play every game like it’s your last because you don’t want to look back on your career and say ‘Only if I had worked a bit harder.’”