• November 22Thanksgiving Break: No school Nov 22-26

• November 21Boys Basketball Scrimmage @ 6 in the Activity Center

• November 17Variety Show in Auditorium @ 7

• November 16State Cheer Showcase @ KS Expocenter

• November 11Chess team gets second at tournament

Filed under News

JROTC travels to Washington D.C.

The JROTC color guard present the colors during the national anthem before the boys soccer game on Sept. 20.

Abigail Medley

Abigail Medley

In mid-April, the Washburn Rural JROTC group took a trip to Washington D.C. to gain a better understanding of all they are working for.

Over the course of a few days, the group attended many historical monuments. They went to the Pentagon, the White House and attended the play Shear Madness at the Kennedy Center. They also visited a variety of museums such as the National Museum of African American History and Culture and the National Museum of American History.

The cadets were also able to go to the Arlington National Cemetery and watch the changing of the guards. Cadets senior Ben Lewis, junior Cole Resnik, freshman Zoe Spangler and sophomore Joe Sittenauer had the honor of placing a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Spangler said she was happy to have the chance to be a part of this special opportunity. With all the places they were able to visit, Spangler said Arlington Cemetery stood out to her more than the others.

“I had the most fun at Arlington [Cemetery] because I was one of the four cadets to lay a wreath at the tomb,” Spangler said. “It was really stressful, but I was honored to be a part of it.”

Throughout the trip, the cadets were able to grow closer as a group and expand their understanding of what they are doing in JROTC along with what is to come.

Spangler said this opportunity gave her the ability to meet more people she may not be as close with.

“I think it brought us closer and gave us a wider world knowledge,” Spangler said. “There are definitely several cadets I became better friends with.”

Colonel Ron Daniels said he thought the trip was a great experience for the cadets. He saw it as a learning opportunity and a way for them to all get closer to one another.

It gives the kids a better understanding of how the government works, and they got to learn and see the nation’s capital and monuments of our Founding Fathers”

— Colonel Ron Daniels

“It gives the kids a better understanding of how the government works, and they got to learn and see the nation’s capital and monuments of our Founding Fathers,” Daniels said.

Spangler said she also believes that this trip will make more members of JROTC more willing to stay in the program longer and be more involved with their activities. Additionally, she said it has made her more excited for the years to come.

Sophomore Dysnee Good said she enjoyed the places they were able to visit and made many unforgettable memories.

“The most fun and interesting thing we saw was the Air and Space Smithsonian because it is full of aviation history and that is mainly what you learn about the first year of JROTC,” Good said.

Good said she believed that the trip was a very important experience for the group to go to and allowed them to learn more.

She said she thinks this trip could change the minds of other students about JROTC, showing them that it can be fun, not only serious.

I think the trip positively impacted the group because we all got to bond as a cadet corps and we got to see a lot of the things we have learned about in person”

— Sophomore Dysnee Good

“I think the trip positively impacted the group because we all got to bond as a cadet corps and we got to see a lot of the things we have learned about in person,” Good said.

Daniels said he has hopes that JROTC can take lessons from the trip back to the community. He is proud of what his students have done and wants these kind of activities to further the amount of interested students for future years.

“These guys are all in; they aren’t doing it because of the trip,” Daniels said. “Several students are glad they went and it could increase the enrollment for next year.”